Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
"Outboarding" CJ-7 springs
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Outboarding" CJ-7 springs

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS

"Outboarding" CJ-7 springs

OK, I'm moving my trials and tribulations of outboarding my springs to support transplanting a pair of SOA D-44's under my CJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifted79CJ7
    Mudrat, So I take it 11" Ubolts weren't from end to end, but actual length from base of U to the end, eh? I hope they let you return them! You figure out how ya wanna move the perches out yet?

Yup, yup, and ...ah ... uhhh, yup (I think ).
    . Haven't had the engineering assesment come back yet on my thoughts, but the front won't be as bad as we thought. Some 1/4 plate and solid welds. I don't have any of the correct diam tubing on hand to fab the swing shackle mounts right now though But I do have a significant qty of 1/4 and 3/16 plate laying around

Mudrat
    " 的t is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    here is from my 85 one of my first weld jobs..ugly but worked great. Outboarding for a chevy or waggy width (non cut down) on a CJ-7 frame moves the centers out exactly 2"S

[COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Dang that's some uuuu-ga-ly stuff there MC!!! (mine is a show Jeep ya know ... NOT!!!)
    After brunch I got back to the Jeep. Looks like I cut my frame-plates about 1/4 too wide and I can't bring the springs in far enough to fit 31" centers. (and me outta OXY for the torch!!)
    Plus with the SRS kit it looks like I'll have to 'notch' the front hangers just over 1/4 in to go around the bolts, then figure out how to reenforce the inner plate since I'll be cutting thru the weld to notch the dang things
    I still need to find some tubing to fit the poly bushings for the rear swing shackles which will raise things a bit further by at least 2"s!!
    and install the new BT shackles outback (hopefully longer than stock) - when they get here

'Rat

Quote Originally Posted by jeepsr4ever
    here is from my 85 one of my first weld jobs..ugly but worked great. Outboarding for a chevy or waggy width (non cut down) on a CJ-7 frame moves the centers out exactly 2"S
    " 的t is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

trials and tribulations 4-6-04

OK, more trials and tribulations and just down right pissed off!!

First the day started OK, computer crashed at work so I'm home by 1PM
    Started on the Jeep and UPS delivered my rims - Black Rock Crawlers
    Not as purdy as Fuzz's though.
    So while they are being mounted I work on the spring perches.
    For the passenger side I had to cut the weld out to fit the mounting bolts
    And then I welded in a new stiffining plate. I really like my MIG when I have gasssssss
    OK, I then picked up the tires and stuck one up next to the Jeep to see how they'd fit. OMG!!! What have I gotten myself into here!!! I still have to jack the Jeep up another 5 inches to match the studs!!!!

So I figure I'd put the new calipers and shoes in and mount them - this is where REALLY pissed off comes in.

Chased the studs, put on the rotor and TRIED to fit the caliper and shoes. It looks like the caliper mount is tweeked so the shoes don't fit squarely and I can't get the bolts in - even using a hammer!!!

Thats when I quit before I really broke something, and did some family type stuff.

Suggestions are welcome....

Mudrat
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Nice pretty foo foo mounts

The brackets..........man they are bent!?
    [COLOR=#000000]

Nice pretty foo foo mounts

Hey, they were part of the MORE shackle reverse kit They actually are a good foundation to build off of ... but what about SUGGESTIONS???? That was the purpose behind this thread

Mud
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Midevil remedy:

install your caliper to the best of your ability without brake pad, find out which side is tweaked inward towards the pumpkin, Gently BANG the mount to straiten it

Are they bolt on or welded on?
    [COLOR=#000000]

Appears either bent or welded crooked??

Midevil remedy:

install your caliper to the best of your ability without brake pad, find out which side is tweaked inward towards the pumpkin, Gently BANG the mount to straiten it

Are they bolt on or welded on?
    Welded - Tried to be gentle since this puppy is on jack stands and it's already pissed me off. I didn't want it to come crashing down on me and REALLLY piss me off!!!

Don't now if you can see it in the front pics, but the front stands are behind the swing shackle and the rear stands are under the axle - not a lot of horizontal seperation
    As Jack kept reminding himself when he was here, "Don't touch the Jeep, Don't touch the Jeep"

It looks like the top section is the problem and the weld is an UUUUUggaaallly one. Huge beads. It'll take some serious grinding (still haven't gotten gas for the torch) to get it off to move it.

And my PC at work is still givingme problems but I can't afford another day off. got to get this project finished today so I can take next week off in FL!! (75 and sunny today )

Mudrat
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

[COLOR=#000000]

What is the benefit of having the springs mounted out board of the frame?
    '97 TJ