Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
"Outboarding" CJ-7 springs - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Outboarding" CJ-7 springs

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    It is just so you can run a fullsize axle without cutting it down for stock spring locations on the frame
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Gotcha. I was thinking about running full size axles on my CJ since I have some lying around. Is outboarding the springs easier than moving the spring perches on the axle? Mudrat, are you going to mas produce your brackets and mounts?
    '97 TJ

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Kaul
    Gotcha. I was thinking about running full size axles on my CJ since I have some lying around. Is outboarding the springs easier than moving the spring perches on the axle? Mudrat, are you going to mas produce your brackets and mounts?
    Yeah Mud.... I may need some also.....

the problem you have with a CJ and Full width axles is if you try to move the spring perches you run into the pumpkin wiht the perch or its really close and you are welding steel to cast.

Yeah, I've heard of that but didn't know for sure.
    '97 TJ

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Ooouuuhhhh on the spot here - I don't have time to finish my own rig let alone build extras!!! If I had some help I might consider building a few, but right now? Not possible.

I had the MORE front frame plates I welded on when I refinished the frame and installed the SRS on the D30's. That combination changed the math some what because I now had an exta 3/8" on the outside of each frame rail. And with the "foo foo" mounts ( mc! ) that bolted on through and under the frame (and the steering gear box), I had to play with it awhile, but wound up with two 4.5x 4.2 inch plates as a foundation to weld the front SRS to. I was looking at keeping everything removable for some strange reason??? When I get back to it, the swing shackle that used to go thru the frame is going to get an off set H with gussets welded on. Basically a U on top with the inverse U offset for the spring. This will change some of the geometry of the font end with basically be a small "shackle lift" in the back of the front springs because I'm going from inside the frame to under the frame.
    Total offset for me was 1.87 inches. MC said "normally" it's about 2" outboard on each side to fit wider D44 axles.

For the SOA, there is room on the 44's to weld the perch. It's close to the pumpkin and you need 3.5" U-bolts for that corner, but the rest are 3" and you need them ~ 7" long on that corner so. I didn't find any ready made spring plates so I made some out of 1/4 inch. Cousre I need a new drill press now!!! My little 8" hobby press is wabbling kind wierd ya know?!?! I got 5/8 x 7 inchers all around with a wild thought of using the extra length to mount hydraulic bump stops instead of the rubber/poly snubbers bolted on the frame.

Mudrat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Poison Spyder makes a kit to mount full width axles under a CJ for those of us lacking in fabrication skills. http://www.spydercustoms.com/index2.php
    '97 TJ

Poison Spyder makes a kit to mount full width axles under a CJ for those of us lacking in fabrication skills. http://www.spydercustoms.com/index2.php
    Thanks Barry. THIS would have saved me some agravation
    And I like the looks of these. TOP and SIDE But why is the angle aft so steep? That looks like it's too far??

The only thing I really need is the mounting strap or rear mount. I have LOTS of 1/4 and 3/8 plate. Hummm ... ... maybe just cut some triangular plates drill for the diameter of the bushing and weld it to a 3/8 plate then weld the whole durn thing to the frame???

Mudrat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

You talking about the shackle angle? It's adjustable. I think I might have to get this setup. Check out the tubular fenders to.
    '97 TJ

You talking about the shackle angle? It's adjustable. I think I might have to get this setup. Check out the tubular fenders to.
    Yeah, I saw the multiple mounting holes - but both mine have the shackle almost 90deg to the frame? I know it's supposed to point a little back, but that just looks too far??
    I'm going to see if one of the guys in the shop can cut and bend me some plate like that. I'll mock it up to get the rear hanger in the right spot, drill it then weld it up. But I agree, that's cool loooking setup.

Mudrat
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Hey Mudrat, long time, no talk! Hey, I thought you had seen that kit before, you could pick that up and sell the SRS system you have on ebay to recoup some cost! Anywho, how is the Jeep coming, had a chance to work on it at all? Some new pics would be cool! I have donw absoluetely squat to my engine. Needless to say, I have been tied up with some stuff and trying to get some money back from someone that owes it to me. Anwho, how is the YJ coming as well? Gotten much of a chance to work on it at all?
    Later,
    Jack