Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Propane

Try this link you can also go to KOAs and if you look you can find most towns have a local propane dealer that can fill you up

http://www.flyingj.com/fuel/gasoline_CF.cfm?state=ALL

All very interesting. Seems you guys are going the opposite to what I have, that is, dual fuel. Running LPG on an injected motor is by far the best result because you have dual tuning and the computer quickly works out the best running curve for it.
    You still need to run the vehicle on petrol (one tank petrol for every 4 of LPG) so the injectors don't gum up.
    No advantage in taking of the cat as it won't add to the HP one bit on LPG.

With dual fuel you have the advantage of greater range with a better fuel load...

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudrat
    35 MPG?!?!?!?! Whaddaya got a Ricer??
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtazwrench
    i'm not sure on that either, but i think farmers around here are on a different program for it than home owners are. i'm thinking of doing it to my daily driver, it aready gets around 35mpg, wonder what it would do on propane.
    yea it's a ricer i was a toyota dealer tech for 3 years, guy came in with this old corolla, tras had loose diff, leaked gear oil, didn't want to fix, so i got it cheap, ran it like that for a year and found a used trans for $100, doubble the fuel mileage of the old 77 chev i had before it. i had a best mpg of 44 once, still don't beleve it though, put a header and a cai on it it's not fast but with the manual trans it has acceptable acelleration for a little 1.6 motor. the dual fuel thing may work better since it's an injected motor.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    I may have to go that way too. With 60 miles a day and 14MPG in the truck around town, it's getting $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to feed the beast!!

Mudrat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    yea that's why i don't drive the wag much.

yea I am seriously considering turning daily driver in to duel fuel my one way is 75 each day at about 12 mpg if you shop around you can get gas for $1.80 but I am seeing $1.95 around town

On the right track here - if you can't do anything about how thirsty the beast is, reduce the price of the drinks!

My full size uses 23litres per 100 kilometers which becomes expensive to run when petrol here has hit A$1.05 per/litre. LPG has moved up slightly to .39c per/litre but it's still within the budget.

60 miles is about 100 kilometers. Interesting to see what economy you get over that distance. Should be about 18 litres/100 kilometers which is not bad figures for a 360 - not at all.

If you convert to dual fuel you will save heaps over a year in fuel costs.

Thank you from BT Grease Monkey
    I rebuilt my CJ from the ground up and decided to convert the Chev 229 v6 to propane. My cost was about $800 in used parts from a used forklift dealer, including tanks.

A Canadian friend of mine who ran propane up north told me that because my motor was an origional gas motor, fuel milage would go down a little and the top end of the HP range would drop. Not to worried about that cause I plan on rock crawling, my final drive being 80:1.

He also told me that if the motor would have been built for propane, both HP and MPG would increase?

Pretty easy swap, just need to figure out how to plumb my BBQ.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Quote Originally Posted by thigh19
    He also told me that if the motor would have been built for propane, both HP and MPG would increase?

Pretty easy swap, just need to figure out how to plumb my BBQ.
    If it was RE-built for propane, why would the milage go down?

Solution for the B-B-Q, shoot the squirrels that eat the regulator and hoses - and have them "over" for dinner (I'm on my third regulator 'cause they keep chewing on the diaphragm

Mudrat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

hey mud i'd like tocheck out your propane setup ,i've been thinking about doing duel fuel ,but didn't have anyone local to talk to about it.