Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Serpentine Belt drive and reverse waterpump for AMC? - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Serpentine Belt drive and reverse waterpump for AMC?

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Quote Originally Posted by ol' school power
    Is it my imagination, or is the crank pulley a bit smaller OD than normal?
    I think MC said a 20% under drive?
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Quote Originally Posted by tufcj
    A serp belt may look cool, but carry a replacement belt. The belt goes, your water pump and all accessories are offline. I like my old V-belt system on my Jeep. I would have to lose 3 belts before my water pump (and fan) stop, 2 belts before I lose the alternator, and 1 belt for the P/S (which I've driven without before).
    While carrying a replacement belt would be an obvious and good idea, in 20+ years of owning a variety of cars and trucks with serpentine belts, I have YET to have a serpentine belt fly off or break ( even with repeated 6500+ rpm blasts ). I have seen them shred and go from 6 ribs down to 2 or 3, but they have never let me down whereas I have nothing but contempt and disdain for V-belts that are notorious for failure. I personally HAVE had all 3 V-belts come off in one incident. I would be EXTREMELY interested in a serpentine setup for my AMC's

Me too! I'm dying to have a setup like this!

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Thought I'd bump this too

winter project is the Waggy motor . . ..
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Houston we have machine troubles
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Machine probs suck!

I was unable to save the pics of the AMC with Serp setup. We swapped the impeller from a reverse rotation Chev water pump core I had kicking around. The fan and clutch came off a '93 Grand Cherokee I parted along with the PS pump and a few other pieces like the AC Compressor.
    I can't get ahold of Dan (not sure where he moved after I switched jobs and he quit driving gas trucks) so I can't get new ones either. I gave him the old harness from a Grand Wagoneer to make it electronic ignition.

Helpfull BT forum member Junior wrench of the Forum
    For you V Belt proponents, just want to share with you my V Belt woes.
    While out performing Christmas Delivery and other hauling duties for friends and family,
    the Alternator Fan belt on my full sized GMC Diesel cargo van decided to whine then break.
    There is NO way a shadetree mechanic can perform this repair in their driveway in sub freezing temperatures!!
    I briefly looked from underneath...too far up to get easily get to.
    I might be able to loosen up the alternator, but getting back in place with the proper tension on the belt is gonna be a tough.
    I checked to see it all the pulleys still freely rotate...no issues there.

I after charged both the batteries fully (yes dual battery setup) took it and parked it at my local shop.

I had install the belt and perform an oil change.
    I got out of there with a bill for $138.

The Manager told me his tech really fought hard to get that belt on.
    The fan shroud and had to come off and it was a bear.

If I had a serpentine belts, I might could have replaced it in my driveway and saved me time and $$$.
    I know 6.5L have serpentine belt setup, so I need to check into this for my 6.2L.
    Bryan Smith
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
    - 5.7 HEMI powered
    1982 Jeep J10
    - Progress toward road-worthiness is being made!
    1981 Jeep J20
    - Commercial flat bed - Long term Project: RUST! Long term project (RUST!)

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Yee fricking hawwwww new lathe coming in friday!
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    if it was a two piece shroud it shouldnt have been too bad. You should try changing power steering lines when its -20F ( blew six of em in the driveway in 4 days last winter). My buddy's 6.6 duramax had his idler pulley explode on him couple weeks ago and the pulley alone set him back $120

Thank you from BT Grease Monkey
    I just found this thread over here ... a bit newer than the IFSJA.org one ...
    Sincerely,
    GregTaylor :)
    Rochester Hills, MI
    1989 Grand Wagoneer "Terminator 2": Water/Hydrogen Injection Coming Soon ... 330" AMC stroker V8. 5" lift 31" BFG A/T's. Killer32 front bumper .. Oh, Yeah! and a FISH carburetor.