Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
Torque plates for honing blocks
Bulltear Ad
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Torque plates for honing blocks

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum

Torque plates for honing blocks

I've been calling and visiting area (Atlanta & metro) machine shops for a AMC torque plate so I can start the machining proccess of my 401. Noone (so far) has one, but I did get the name of a company thats produces them, PHJ, but I can't seem to find their web sight.

Even though I'm not building a "high HP" engine (this time), I would like to blueprint and build it as durable as I can. Any info on ways of aquiring a torque plate for an AMC 401 would be much appreciated

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    I am not sure how much they would cost but since we have the head gaskets on CAD we could make torque blocks but right now we would need 3 weeks leadtime and they might come in at $220...hmmm you should try to pm holeshot, he may deal with those...dunno
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Been searching around on the Hot Rod Magazine web site for old articles on honing with torque plates. What I found was BHJ not PHJ (LOL). Misunderstanding on my part (my hearing deficiency) thought they said "P". Anyway, for a "racer net" of $348+ one can be had for the AMC V8. Inline 6 are available as well, thats BHJinc.com for those interested.

I also saw a "head torque plate" that bolts to the head for valve seat grinding. Never heard of that, but it says it has great advantages as the valve seat distorts when torqued to the block.

Man, the technology just never stops

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    So Gremlin, what is a torque plate? Sounds like something used to line the tools up to hone the block??? Just wondering and would like to learn a little today....
    Jack

Jack basically a torque plate is used in very high performance engine building where the torque of the heads and stress on the block are simulated before boring and honing by way of a large steel plate that is torqued down to the block. I am neutral on the subject as I havent seen any gains from this and when you take the plates off the casting tweaks and when you put the heads on it tweaks again. Maybe for a 12000rpm motor you would see the difference but I havent hit over 9000rpm with any AMC V8
    [COLOR=#000000]

Ahhh, OK. It makes sense, but like you said, I think this would really only be necessary in highly stress situations (race engines like you said). On a side note, what was the best AMC engine you think you've ever put together???
    Jack

Facts are facts and the fact is (haha) that the cylinders are out of round once the head is torqued down if bored and honed without the plate. This and other small "hurdles" one incounters in rebuilding an engine may not be noticed in "horse power" gains at low RPMs, but will help out massively in durability in the life of an engine. Since I love AMC power and the rides that it comes in as well as the fact (haha) the you just can't get them at you local dealer anymore tends to make "me" want to build them as best I can

I want my AMC engines to last longer than factory, so I will assemble it many times during the rebuild process to make sure I get the durability I seek

Now don't take all that the wrong way for I'm just an Aries (stubborn perfectionist), I can't help it

Your right
    [COLOR=#000000]

Shoo, feel free to come over and throw this old dog a bone when I actually get the funds up to finish my engine! Man, my dumb arse is all about instant gratification!!
    Jack (needs to learn a little more patience at apying attention to details on engines)

Pontiac was the only Automaker to use them in production. It is not just for hiperformance issues as torquing on any style engine you're building alters it's shape. Aren't we looking for a good "ring seal" in the end of any rebuild?