Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
Scored a Dana 60.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scored a Dana 60.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar

Scored a Dana 60.

I was in the Chicago area last week. My brother turned me on to a guy parting a 71 J4000 pickup. Went and looked and sure enough, a Dana 60-2 rear. Semi floater, 5 on 5.5" bolt pattern, 4.10 gears, and 1.5" - 35 spline axles. Picked it up for $125. It has some rust, so the BOM isn't legible, but that's OK. Now to have it narrowed to 56" for the rear of my CJ.
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    nice catch!!

You really dont want that sixty though its a boat anchor, please send to

Bulltear
    30401 neal ave
    Lindstrom mn 55045
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Thank you from BT Master (OIIIO)

Very bad axle, very bad, best pay to ship it away. Those 35 spline axle shafts and 5 on 5.5 pattern arent what you want, plus its really heavy, very bad in jeep applications.

Hmmmmm wonder why im running one
    IF washington wont quit spending money like mad men then i suggest we claim 9 deductions in 2010 and withold or taxes till the final dead line of 4/15/2011.

CJ7 AMC401 http://www.fordification.com/images/forum/bug.gif

"May God have mercy on my enemies, because I WON'T!!" -General George Patton
    Member #377

Dusty, are you running full width or did you cut yours? The one I have is heavily offset to the passenger side. With some quick measurements, I may be able to get close to the 56" I'm looking for by just cutting the long side. It's about 65" right now.
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Dang you got one of the rarest dana 60's of all time that came in a j20 with quadratrack...........that thing is gold ive only seen one in almost 1000FSJ's

HOLY =D>
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

you can cut it on the one side, i cut mine to 55.5, i fudged a little. My front end is 56 so im still ok though, i wanted it 56" F&R and with that rear end you can do that, nice huh.

Never been much for full width on a cj, i like people to to look twice and wonder if its stock.

Yeah those things are few and far between. I found mine in a Cooley while out pheasant hunting in Conrad Montana, Back when i lived in montana.
    IF washington wont quit spending money like mad men then i suggest we claim 9 deductions in 2010 and withold or taxes till the final dead line of 4/15/2011.

Member #377

I don't like full width either, plus out here in Colorado, some trails are iffy for full width. I used a 44HD front axle from a GM 3/4 ton pickup, since it was already SOA. Cut it down to 56" so I could leave the springs in the stock location. My current rear is also a 44 which was cut to 55", but the thicker disc brake rotors push it out a little.

I just did some quick rough measurements last nite, we'll see when I actually get some hard measurements. I'll have the rear out in a couple of weeks for a gear change (4.27 to 4.88 ), they've been on the shelf for months. I just don't have the cash to build the 60 right now with the AMX project going on but I grabbed it for the price.

The 44 will be for sale - 4.88s, Detroit locker, disc brakes, and spare axle shafts when I get the 60 done.
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

and not have it.
    Henry Ford

I hear ya man I never had had the cash in my piggy bank (project fund) at the right time for building a diff the way i wanted to.

Instead to cut the price tag i've learned how to pickup old Power Lok's for $50 from a wrecking yard or wherever. I then order a clutch pack for $40, rebuild it. Call my friend to do the install for a 12 pack & bearings/seals cost around $70, I even have gotten so stingy as to tear apart 2 or three Ploks and find enough good clutches to scab one together for a trip when i was really pinched for fun cash with a different rig than my norm.

That might be pointless info, but for about $200 you get a rebuilt diff with a LS that works really well, I'd put it in the same class as lockers that ive had for functionallity. Check ebay from time to time i found my front 4.88 R&P for $40 lightly used.

I dont blame you i had mine for awhile before i cut it down. Do it right the first time.

Member #377

I've dealt with www.completeoffroad.com, that's where I got my 4.88s and install kits for the Dana 44s from. On their site they have a Detroit for the 60 for $499, the 4.88s for $166, add the cost of a master install kit and a few seals, plus disc brakes (TSM Mfg. is driving distance), and cutting the housing and axle. I think I can have a great Dana 60 for under $1500.

I'll buy parts as I have money, and stack them on the "project shelf". When I have everything, I'll have it cut, build it and stuff it in.
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Member #377