Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Scout 44's and SOA
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scout 44's and SOA

Scout 44's and SOA

I bought a bunch of scout dana 44's. One of the front is setup for a SOA already. I hadn't planned on using it, but I've been considering it lately. I've read through the posts here about the pros and cons about doing SOA. Basically, I want something flexy, but I AM going to drive it on the road, and the smallest tire I'll consider on it is a 36. My bro's jeep is done now, but I don't like how it all sits really. He's got a new 4" skyjacker softride lift, and 1 3/4" shackles with 36x12.50x15's on it. I'd like to put 38's on mine, so here's what I was considering.

Option 1. SOA plus 2.5" skyjacker lift plus 1.5" shackles. I want to make sure that I've got plenty of clearance for the tires.

Option 2. SUA plus 4" suspension plus 1.5" shackles. The tub is in good shape so I'd be willing to do a small body lift too if necessary.

What are your thoughts. I like option 1, because I want it to be big and bad when it's done, but I do want to drive it 70MPH at the same time.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Go for the SOA. Just make sure that if you are gonna go for at least 38's, my recomendation to move the axle an inch or two forward. I didn't and wish I had. I am running SOA on scout 44's with 4" RE extreme duty leaves. I like it, but there are several things you have to consider.

1: Caster: Scout axles come stock with 0 caster, except for some 1980 model-those are rare.

2: Scout axles come with dana 30 strength outers, so big axles are a lot of strain on big meats.

3: Lift shackles are just a bad idea all the way around in my book. It reduces your caster, which is already bad because of #1. I cut the knuckles off of mine and had to do a lot of work to get my 2,5" springs to work SOA and then added in my necessary caster.

4: Scout axles come with crappy gearing. You're gonna have to regear.

5: You are gonna have to go high steer. No way around it. Add in the cost of finding some 1975 F100 Scout truck dana 44 front axle knuckles and all associated parts with high steer.

6: Hope this made since - I am completely bombed trying to type here!

Let me know if you have any questions or if you want me to take some pics for ya!
    Jack

Thanks a ton for the input. I could just order the 4" lift and not do lift shackles. I already have 4.56's for it, and cheapo lockers. Lockrite for the front and a minispool for the rear.

I'll probably have some questions about the steering and what will actually need to change for that. I'm not sure what I'll do there really.

Quote Originally Posted by abusedtrucks
    Thanks a ton for the input. I could just order the 4" lift and not do lift shackles. I already have 4.56's for it, and cheapo lockers. Lockrite for the front and a minispool for the rear.

I'll probably have some questions about the steering and what will actually need to change for that. I'm not sure what I'll do there really.
    1. Stay away from extended shackles - you're just asking for problems
    2. D44's, 4:56 detroits undera a SOA spring reverse up front and 3" skyjacker: nets a 12"' space from the 35's to the fender in back and almost 20 up front 36/37/38"s NO PROBLEM!

You can get a 'feel for height here ...

Hi Steer with 1.5" DOM tierods and draglink using 3/4" Heim joints ...

Mad cow disease

Mudrat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

That's pretty sweet. I can't wait to get to MN and start working on it again. I'll get more pics soon, with the other set of Dana 44's in it. I bought a whole bunch of these things, so instead of having to set one up for the SOA, there was already a front that's done for that. Just gotta put gears and a locker in it.

Just make sure to check your caster and the welds!!

Yeah, as I'm doing everything, I'm trying to check and double check as I go. Now is the time to do it right since it's all tore down already.

I'll get some pics once I'm back in MN and let everybody ridicule me for my work.

I am working on 1.5" lift springs SOA with a 1" BL. Those are 37 MTR's. I think a 3" lift spring SOA is alot unless you are going full width. Here are some pics of mine. I Moved the front axle forward 1.5".

Getting them under the rig:

1978 Jeep CJ-7 on Won-Tons :D Nv4500/4:1 SOA on ALCANS and mtr's

I guess my 4.5" leaves and tiny scout axles aren't a great idea then, either, eh?? After finishing the suspension, I have now been seriously considering full width one ton axles. Now to just find the $$$ for them!! Hell, I still need to finish my engine!!
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by 78304CJ-7
    I am working on 1.5" lift springs SOA with a 1" BL. Those are 37 MTR's. I think a 3" lift spring SOA is alot unless you are going full width. Here are some pics of mine. I Moved the front axle forward 1.5".
    It is a bit much and I had an angle difference as in the front was 3" higher than the rear - so I cut it back down. If my original measurements were correct I'm right about 7" over all to the floor board.

I wish AI had as much room in my shop as you do

Mudrat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE