Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Dammit summit.......Dammit - Page 2
Bulltear Ad
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dammit summit.......Dammit

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    i generaly use crane cams but did use a trw cam on a buick 455 i installed
    in a 67 firebird and had no problems. used crane cams in my other rebuilds(71 eldorado 500 v-8, 77 formula firebird 403 olds v-8, and a
    friends 87 buick gnx 231 v-6 turbo). with shoddy quality control summit
    needs to be stricken off the list on where to get parts!
    later, rollen
    83 eagle (r.i.p.)
    85 gl1200 gold wing LTD pilot
    1999 gl1500C valkyrie(plain gold wing)
    1994 jeep grand cherokee limited pilot
    McDonnell Douglas c-17 mechanic
    corrupting people since 1962

Thank you from BT Senior Wrench of the forum
    I have heard that Reed Cams are really good for AMC applications. I have not tried one personally, but a lot of AMC race guys like them.

Just my two-cent's worth.

comp cams

I have run nothing but comp cams and have been very happy with them . I have no complaints about the product at all!
    cj7 360 roller motor 291c heads np435 dana300 4-1 plus northwest fab 2.72 black box, currie hi pinion 9 inch front and currie rock jock dana60 rear,38 inch tsls custom shackle reversal and a little bit of rust lol

Helpfull BT forum member Junior wrench of the Forum
    i done got the 8600 cam, its installed and just started the motor last night , runs good so far. purchased the cam begining of june. when did these bad ones start to pop up? followed jeeps forever suggestion, was going to go with the edelbrock. is there any thing i can check in preventive measures?

1st look at the finish on the lobes. if ANY are unfinished(ruff) then
    return and go with another bumpstick from comp, reed, crane or any other reputable company. just my opinion.
    later, rollen
    83 eagle (r.i.p.)

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Well I found the problem

the relief holes in the back of the cam were blocked by flashing and one summit cam we have here has no relief holes.................dangit, do I have to go through everything
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

you might have to. i look at the bumpsticks before i walk out of the parts house. picked up a trw for the 67 firebirds 455 and it had a flaw. the #4
    cam lobe was not polished correctly and trw happily shipped a new one to the house no charge. it also came with a hand written apolagy from the
    inspector who missed it. but that was in the 70's.
    later, rollen
    83 eagle (r.i.p.)

Bulltear forum member Swabie

Summit Cam 8600

Quote Originally Posted by jeepsr4ever
    was it a 8600 or 8601?
    Hey MC
    I purchased a Summit 8600 cam this year on your recomendation for my 304 which is now rebuilt and ready to go. Are these cams any good or not?

Re: Summit Cam 8600

Quote Originally Posted by clarance49
    Hey MC I purchased a Summit 8600 cam this year on your recomendation for my 304 which is now rebuilt and ready to go. Are these cams any good or not?
    I can't say, but I can say 'don't shoot the messenger'. Summit has been a Name for years and (usually) has good stuff. I've gotten stuff from them for years with no problem. But I don't think they make their own cams, but contract out to their their specs. My guess from this thread is that they don't QA 100% of their products.

Mudrat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Bulltear forum member Swabie

Re: Summit Cam 8600

Quote Originally Posted by Mudrat
    Quote Originally Posted by clarance49
    Hey MC I purchased a Summit 8600 cam this year on your recomendation for my 304 which is now rebuilt and ready to go. Are these cams any good or not?
    I can't say, but I can say 'don't shoot the messenger'. Summit has been a Name for years and (usually) has good stuff. I've gotten stuff from them for years with no problem. But I don't think they make their own cams, but contract out to their their specs. My guess from this thread is that they don't QA 100% of their products.

Mudrat
    Hi Mudrat, I am not going to shoot the messenger. I talked to my engine builder and he said during the rebuild every thing worked as it should, he also said that a lot depends on how the cam is broken in.After all, he has to guarantee the engine! The guy whom rebuilt my engine does racing engines. (Speery Engines Cedar Rapids,Ia)