Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
Dammit summit.......Dammit - Page 3
Bulltear Ad
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dammit summit.......Dammit

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS

Re: Summit Cam 8600

Quote Originally Posted by clarance49
    Hi Mudrat, I am not going to shoot the messenger. I talked to my engine builder and he said during the rebuild every thing worked as it should, he also said that a lot depends on how the cam is broken in.After all, he has to guarantee the engine! The guy whom rebuilt my engine does racing engines. (Speery Engines Cedar Rapids,Ia)
    Roger that.

HEY!!! MC... did you figure out what happened?
    Curious minds want to know

Mudrat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Bulltear forum member Swabie

Re: Summit Cam 8600

Quote Originally Posted by Mudrat
    Quote Originally Posted by clarance49
    Hi Mudrat, I am not going to shoot the messenger. I talked to my engine builder and he said during the rebuild every thing worked as it should, he also said that a lot depends on how the cam is broken in.After all, he has to guarantee the engine! The guy whom rebuilt my engine does racing engines. (Speery Engines Cedar Rapids,Ia)
    Roger that.

HEY!!! MC... did you figure out what happened?
    Curious minds want to know

Mudrat
    MC, Curious mind still want to know what happened. I sent an E mail to Summit and have had no replies yet.
    C49

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    no oil relief hole in the back of the cam....
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Bulltear forum member Swabie
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepsr4ever
    no oil relief hole in the back of the cam....

Mc, I finally got a reply from Summit on my SUM 8600. I thought this guy was going to go postal with his reply! He told me to beware of chat forums, Geeeeez I thought I we were talking about Jeeps not just a chat room.
    Summit definitely does not want to have any blame placed with thier cams. He also said AMC people do not want to change from bridge pivot rocker arms to the adjustable which is required according to Summit this list goes on and on so think I will get off of my soap box. The more I read his E mail the more Po'd I get.
    I trust your opinions and the work you have done for me now and in the future. =D>
    C49

Summit wants to cover their butt cant hardly blame them for that....HOWEVER telling us that it isnt the camshaft when it is and also not standing by their product will and has turned off alot of their customers. These "chat rooms" are where people of unbiased opinion can discuss their experiences. Summit is aware of Bulltear and so is comp cams and they both have members here. These companies do have great products but even with a small percentage of scrap that makes it out somebody will post their experience and we should not be silenced for having spoken our minds.....

-MC

FWIW I believe both of the cams are about equal in quality
    [COLOR=#000000]

Helpfull BT forum member Admiral of the Forum
    somebody will post their experience and we should not be silenced for having spoken our minds.....
    I think It's called the first amendment...????

I'm running an edelbrock in my 304 and I can't complain a bit about the cam.

My $.02
    79 (mostly) CJ 7 304, T-18, D300 D44s, Spring over lift on 35s

haha yeah that cam is definately a good choice for a 304 It was designed for use in a 304
    [COLOR=#000000]

Can we re-address one of the earlier questions? What's a good substitute for the 8601? I'm about to build a 360 for my Scrambler and thought that was the right choice.

Tell me about your drivetrain John.

It's a Jeep Scrambler, has a weak remanned 360 in it now (low miles), Howell FI on an Edlebrock Performer, DUI ignition, stock dog leg exhaust manifolds into a Y pipe single exhaust. Running a TF999 automatic, Dana 300 transfer case (new one on the bench going in soon with 4:1 gears, clocked, twin sticked), Dana 44 axles front and rear with 4.09 gears (ARB lockers). Tires are BFG M/T 33's, might go to 35's eventually.

The engine I'm about to rebuild is a (supposedly) '72 360. The head #'s are 3212993-1 with the individual rockers (are these studs pressed in or screwed?). The bores are in decent shape, but haven't been checked out completely. I can't find anyone with specific AMC knowledge in my area to build it, so I have to, pretty much, specify what I want....I'm looking for low end grunt off idle for off-road and decent street performance up to 5000 (okay I'll take up to 4500 rpm). I figure 300 hp should be possible on regular gas. Am I asking too much? All my friends are Chevy and I don't want to......
    Thanks....