Bulltear Ad
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Dammit summit.......Dammit

Helpfull BT forum member Swabie

Summit K8600

Thanks to this post and a few others regarding the Summit (or anybody's) cams, I did a little more cam inspection than usual. Anyhow my new K8600 looks good regarding lobe surface, oiling holes and front journal grove, etc. (FWIW: I believe Summit indicated to me that Crane grinds their cams.)

One question though, at the edges of the lobe are sharp edges. (Not burrs, and not on the lobe surface, but rather on the side of the lobe at the 90 degree intersection of the ground surface and the cast lobe.) Should a guy carefully chamfer this?

Re: Summit K8600

Quote Originally Posted by 46flattie
    Thanks to this post and a few others regarding the Summit (or anybody's) cams, I did a little more cam inspection than usual. Anyhow my new K8600 looks good regarding lobe surface, oiling holes and front journal grove, etc. (FWIW: I believe Summit indicated to me that Crane grinds their cams.)

One question though, at the edges of the lobe are sharp edges. (Not burrs, and not on the lobe surface, but rather on the side of the lobe at the 90 degree intersection of the ground surface and the cast lobe.) Should a guy carefully chamfer this?
    Sorry to answer so late, but this is important.

Should not be necc. to chamf., but make sure the oiling holes are thare. It might be a good idea to run a pipe cleaner down the holes as well to make sure thare is no sand still in the cam.

Helpfull BT forum member Swabie
    Thanks for the reply. Looking back it seems like kind of a dumb question, but I was being pretty anal when I assembled the motor, especially w/the cam due to some apparent issues others were having. Fortunately, I've never (knock on wood) had any cam issues in any of my motors.
    401 CJ-8
    472 Caddy Powered J Truck
    85 SJ
    46 CJ-2A
    64 Flattie Wagon w/4.0L Fuelie

my summikt 8600 cam in my 304 lasted about 8 hours

Thank you from BT Gear Head
    Does anyone take the time to thoroughly clean the cam, before lubing and installing?
    In America, there is no natural, moral, or legal right, to obligate another person or persons, to your dept or desires.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Quote Originally Posted by 73hornut
    Does anyone take the time to thoroughly clean the cam, before lubing and installing?
    Define "thoroughly clean" . . . shooting brake cleaner though the oiling holes and washing the outside down count
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    I always run mine thru the solvent tank, rinse thoroughly, and blow dry with compressed air before applying the assembly lube. I do the same with cranks and rods. Engine blocks get hit with soap/water and pressure washer, all passages cleaned with brushes. Everything always has to be clean.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford