Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
a cam plug for AMC V8's whats going on! - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: a cam plug for AMC V8's whats going on!

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Someone else makes these

http://www.amracing.com/whatwedo/manupart.html

However

these are a one size fits all , after talking with Randy from performanceamstyle.com and tossing it around a bit with measurements we found a one size fits all doesnt help....every run of timing covers has the timing cover cam landing at different heights. This sadly...doesnt solve anything
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

cam plug

MATT

IS THIS WHAT YOU ARE CALLING A CAM PLUG,THE CAM BUTTON FROM AM RACING,I BOUGHT ONE OF THEM AND YOU HAVE TO FILE OR GRIND THE PLASTIC BUTTON TO GET THE CLEARENCE THAT THEY TELL YOU TO GET WITH THE KIT.

I MADE ONE TODAY OUT OF BILLET ALUMINUM,IT ONLY TOOK ME ABOUT TWO HOURS WITH ONLY HAND TOOLS.

I THOUGHT YOU WERE MAKING ONE LIKE THEY USE ON THE CHEBBYS,

ANOTHER THOUGHT WOULD BE TO MAKE A CAM THRUST PLATE WITH TORRINGTON BEARINGS THAT BOLTS ON WITH TWO LITTLE BOLTS,LIKE THE NICK ALFANO ANTI WALK TIMING KITS,EXCEPT MAKE THE CAM THRUST PLATE SO YOU CAN USE ANY TIMING CHAIN YOU WANT TO USE.

MARK [/img]

The plug we are making is a plastic plug that has a retention spring and is the cam bolt itself. The problem we are running into is the fact that the spring must be held by somekind of retention device, most likely a keywayed sleeve to take the thrust of the plastic rubbing on the timing cover so the spring doesnt unwind. That is the final step in this and after we discover how to make that we will be off with a one size fits all piece, the problem with what you are doing is that even though your running a nickel pump (actually it may be ok) you are running aluminum on nickel, which will last a long time but may fail after several hundred thousand turns....but that nickel will hold up extremely well....hmm that may actually be the solution you need, I would polish the end of the button you made
    [COLOR=#000000]

ANY UPDATES ON THE CAM BUTTONS,I AM GOING TO INSTALL THE ALUMINUM ONE I MADE ON THE 401 BUT I WOULD STILL BE INTERESTED
    IN THE CAM BUTTONS.

MARK

I dont know..we are at 110% capacity with some of these projects and with some of the bigger names in motorsports knocking on my door....eating my good time it is slowing the finished products. I have 24 hrs of machining to do before monday and with 1.5 guys this weekend it will eat my weekend....

This weeks scheduling is extremely tight with prototypes for other companies being completed. I know you guys want this button asap..consider it as a band aid in a hydralic situation though.

Mark you are one of 12 that are hot on my tail to get this done...believe me when I say I am thinking about your request...almost hourly
    [COLOR=#000000]