Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terrain

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!! pyagid's Avatar

Terrain

What kind of terrain are you building your jeep to crawl?

Trailbst and I live in New England, we have a lot of mixed rockwork/mud. Some trails are fairly dry until we get a day of rain then it is almost like wheeling in a stream. And could make it very difficult even though the obstacle may not be to big.

what do you guys have?
    "Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
    - Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.mikeysway.org/ <~~~ Friend of the family. 100% of donations are contributed. All Taxes and fees are paid for by an outside source

Not to many rocks down here in Florida, but, ,we do have walls to climb and ditch embankments
    [ ]lllllll[ ] REAL JEEPS ARE BUILT NOT BOUGHT
    1980 J10 350 chevy on 35s
    1987 MJ Comanche

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    And "Sugar Sand"!!! Man, I couldn't believe how soft and trecherous that stuff is!! Had a great time at the FL Jeepers camp-out though :-)

Mudrat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

It depends on where we go; Aroyos you can get hard sand, soft sand, mud, small rock fields, and boulders. We have one canyon called sand canyon which just a fun trail run it gets you out of the site of most civilisation for a couple of hours. We have Barts trail which is rock water falls none ove 2 feet in drop but is fun to take a few hours to play on and the nice thing about it is that if you break it is less than a 1/2 mile back to the house. Then there are all the trails you have seen on the videos we havn't run any of them yet, most of us started building our rigs for those few storms in the winter that pile the snow in, so that with out a well preped 4X4 we can't make it out to the main hwy. which for me is about 2 miles of dirt road which turns in to greasy mud when wet

Bigun - I dig NM trails, and AZ and CO and TX. Done some, but want MORE!!!! Rocks and Aroyos are way different than sugar sand though. I was really surprised at how quick you can get in trouble. No kidding! Even a wash after a big rain was nothing like this dry stuff. Wild!!

Mudrat
    Looking to take the family to Big Bend in TX next summer
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Sister and Brother in law live in Kermit Tx. my crawling partner's younger brother and my neice were an item he towed the honcho tuff truck down for a week end in the sand he showed up with his swampers, roll cage, and built 401. All the sand guys told him the swampers were to hard to run in the sand. Till the clutch packed up he spent the week end out running the four wheeler motor cycles and a couple of sand buggies. I have tried to find pics but they seem to be lost in the ether. What happened is former owner was running it as a tuff truck when the frame broke so my buddy and ace fabricator Black Bart used a chevy blazer frame and the honchos running gear to fabricate a center drive single seat truck.

Sounds cool!!! Find the pics

Mudrat
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

I'm building mine for the Rubicon, it's only 80 miles from here, plus there's some wicked slabs up in the hills within 30 miles from here
    Acceleration, what's that?

80 Cherokee, 258/T-176/NP208/Dana 44 front/AMC20 Rear

84 Grand Wagoneer, 258/TF999/NP229/44/20

I live in the northern sierra's, I'm about 15 min. away from some reasonably tough rock crawling runs. In the spring we run up high in the snow melt and the summer and fall we do rock crawling, Rubincon, Fordyce trail and local rock crawling runs.

Kent

I envy you guys, it's 3 hours to get to anything legal to 4Wheel and then you have the rest of the state there too

Mudrat
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE