Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
:idea: About distributor gear wear (UPDATED!!) - Page 4
Bulltear Ad
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: :idea: About distributor gear wear (UPDATED!!)

I have same prob, wore out cam gear in 10 miles.

Help, this is an expensive build with edelbrock pro flo and much more. New everything, except timing cover. It seems to be in great shape, no visible wear. I think the oil pump set might be the problem. It seems to be tight, it feels funny like the gears are pulsating when turned by hand. They can be turned by hand though, so I dont know if that is considered loose enough or not. The oil pump gears seem to be slightly above the deck of the oil pump surface, so I will get some plastigage tomorrow and measure the tolerances.

I also ran 5w30 not knowing any of these issues before hand. How likely is that the cause? I never heard of oil causing extreme wear of this nature?
    It is brand new motor, and I had great oil pressure after priming. I am sure it is a tight motor and I was worried about running too thick an oil and blowing gasket and seals.

MC what is your reccomendation from here?
    Butta's Ride=1975 Cj-5 AMC 360 T-18 Edelbrock Pro-Flo EFI ROSS forged Pistons 9.5 Comp Edelbrock Cam apprx 320HP

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Emailed you
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

I need a matched set of gears.

OK, frustration setting.

I munched a second gear now. Its been 60 miles or so and I pulled distributor to check it out. I can see the wear straight down the center of the cam gear. It not broke yet, buts it's a few miles away. Looking at the pictures of your gear, it seemed to have flatter surfaces where the gears mate. My cam gear(both) from Mopar seemed to have tapered mating surfaces. I ran stock oil spring, and 10w30. max 2500 rpm. still breaking engine in. Oil was 60-65 psi hot, 70 psi cold at 2000 rpm.

How do I get matched gears from MC. ?
    Butta's Ride=1975 Cj-5 AMC 360 T-18 Edelbrock Pro-Flo EFI ROSS forged Pistons 9.5 Comp Edelbrock Cam apprx 320HP

The matched gear sets are around 3 weeks out. If your oil pump is tight you will need to take a file and take the edge off your gears to allow it to turn easier.
    [COLOR=#000000]

I need them ASAP. Can I order them anywhere else? Or are they being made custom somewhere? I made sure there was not a rough or sharp edge anywhere on the oil gear. They spin super cleanly and not an edge catches like they did out of the box.

Have there been any problems with Comp cams?
    I have an MST pro billet destributer.
    Bad cores, non-matching oiling holes, Gears?

I still need dizzy gear set

MC, did you get any gear sets in yet? I also saw some posts about development of cam buttons last year.

I would like a button as well just to be on the safe side, although I don't beleive I have that issue, I am trying to eliminate as many possibilities as I can.

Please get back to me, I have had my daily driver in the garage now 4 months.

again, I need a cam/dizzy set and cam button.

The whole united states is short on gears........
    [COLOR=#000000]

Helpfull BT forum member Junior wrench of the Forum
    i think i used too many of those gears when i had my problem. or problems plural, very frustrating problem.

Hey Brad!! Jeep still running good for you?
    [COLOR=#000000]