Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
:idea: About distributor gear wear (UPDATED!!) - Page 5
Bulltear Ad
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: :idea: About distributor gear wear (UPDATED!!)

Helpfull BT forum member Junior wrench of the Forum
    yea no problems almost 3000 miles on it. still want more power and trying to dial in the timing and carb. i really need that edel. fuel inj., headers, or underdrive pulley.

Quote Originally Posted by BRAD ARTHUR
    thanks to mc, i ended sending everything besides the block to him, he mocked up all parts and found the distributor was .012" to long.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepsr4ever
    Thats great now you can finally enjoy that engine...BTW it was .120 not .012
    Wanted to bring this BTT, I'm having similar issues, still on round 1... What was done to resolve the ZMJeeps/Dizzy issue mentioned here?

Other stuff I'd like to throw out here for some help:
    1) Low mileage rebuild engine. Old cam gear with new dizzy gear 100 miles in it eats the cam gear.

2) Thus far I have taken the following steps:
    A) replacing cam/dizzy with matched set from Bulltear.
    B) Timing cover/oil pump look good, no scratches/gouges, but am replacing with Oil-pump reloaction kit and no discernable extra play here.
    C) Replacing cam with Edelbrock Performer kit (matches intake and I'm not an engine guy)
    D) Replacing timing set with Edelbrock double roller set

What else can I do to make sure this goes back together properly for longevity? Any assistance would be appreciated from this noob!

cam gear wear

I have put 500 miles on minenow after previously munching 2 cam gears in 40 miles. The culprit was a mismatch. I used a dist gear purchased from jeep/mopar and it ate the cam gear twice. I changed oil today and pulled the dist to check wear. Cam gear and dist gear have no marks and look like new from the bag.

Note----just as a precaution I put in the Nick Alfano anti-walk kit just to eliminate cam-walk as the culprit. I had edelbrock timing, but not anymore. Also have edelbrock cam and external timing chain oiler redirected to oil the dist/cam gear as well as splash extra oil to the timing set.

After comparing the 4 different dist gears I have laying around, I used the gear from my previous motor. Dist was less than a year old and looked the same as the other gears I used in the past. The mopar dist gear is distinctly different, having tapered edges on the top the teath that I suspect are cuting into the middle of the cam gear on its way through its motion across the cam tooth. Now that I look this closely I see why it is not a matched gear.
    I can post a pic in comparison if anyone wants to see the what I suspect as the "ISSUE" with this dist gear.

There are many possible causes but I found mine.
    Butta's Ride=1975 Cj-5 AMC 360 T-18 Edelbrock Pro-Flo EFI ROSS forged Pistons 9.5 Comp Edelbrock Cam apprx 320HP

Re: cam gear wear

Quote Originally Posted by buttabean
    I had edelbrock timing, but not anymore. Also have edelbrock cam and external timing chain oiler redirected to oil the dist/cam gear as well as splash extra oil to the timing set.
    OK, dumb question, are there known issues (oiling, etc) with the Edelbrock timing gear I should be on the lookout for?

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar

Re: cam gear wear

Quote Originally Posted by bluesman2a
    Quote Originally Posted by buttabean
    I had edelbrock timing, but not anymore. Also have edelbrock cam and external timing chain oiler redirected to oil the dist/cam gear as well as splash extra oil to the timing set.
    OK, dumb question, are there known issues (oiling, etc) with the Edelbrock timing gear I should be on the lookout for?
    Yes you can look at the oiling groove in the inside hole where it slips on the camshaft....see if its distrupted by casting flash and then grind it out accordingly
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

jeeps4ever,
    I am having dist gear munching problems. I see someone mentioned matched sets from you. I cannot find them on your site. Do you sell them?

chuck
    87 GW
    96 XJ

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    go to the products area in the forum and look in the AMC V8 area...from there you can buy them
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepsr4ever
    nope the rules change dramatically for the sixes
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Where do you get the anti-walk kit from for an AMC 304? Does Bulltear sell these too? And are the matched gear sets for the 304? Did not see these when I clicked on the products section.
    Thanks!

Anti-cam walk kit

I am not part of Bulltear FYI----but here's my scoop----

Anti-cam walk kits are available on ebay from maddog racing. I do not know if Bulltear caries them although they recommended them to me as well.I have bought many parts from them and they are reputable. They are designed by nick Alfano and well worth the peace of mind.

Almost all parts on AMC 304-360-401 are the same. The exceptions being heads and valves(304 uses smaller heads.) Also, crank/rods/pistons etc. will generate the different displacements(not interchangeable for stock applications) or flywheels(for balancing and weight.)

Cams/lifters/oilpumps/water pumps/timing covers/intake manifolds/exhaust manifolds/rockers/pushrods are all the same.

Hope this helps

FYI. my 360 made 600 miles so far in break-in and snapped my driveline on a sharp shift in to second. Pretzeld the tube, u-joints held up....torqee motor!!
    Butta's Ride=1975 Cj-5 AMC 360 T-18 Edelbrock Pro-Flo EFI ROSS forged Pistons 9.5 Comp Edelbrock Cam apprx 320HP