Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
:idea: About distributor gear wear (UPDATED!!) - Page 9
Bulltear Ad
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: :idea: About distributor gear wear (UPDATED!!)

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    The dimples are where the hot metal gets injected and doesnt matter for alignment. The shafts arent critical unless they are too short or too long. You will find they vary up to .05"
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

In the front cam bearing, is there supposed to be a groove the whole way around the bearing, the cam, or both?

How many oil relief holes in the back cam journal? The stock cam has two. Didn't get to check the new cam yet.

'69 AMX 12.60@107 - Ohio, unfortunately (:-P)
    Front Cam Bearing and/or Journal, as I understand it, the groove can be in one or the other or both, just as long as it's there.

Rear Cam Journal Relief holes, either one or two, just as long as they're there and go all the way through.

Also may want to check that each of the Cam Bearings in the Block are installed such that the hole through the side of'em lines up properly with the Oil Feed Hole in the Block itself.

Bulltear I believe has Cam Bearings available with reduced Oil Hole size to limit oil delivery to the Cam Journals and improve Oil flow to the Crank Mains and Rods.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Yes front camshaft bearing needs a groove around it so the camshaft and distributor gears are always fed oil. I do believe all current sets have this groove.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Very helpful thread!

Part of the pile of parts I got for rebuilding my 75 401 was a Cloyes double roller set. (from MadDog). I had paid for the upgraded option on their 270 Cam kit, and although he said on the phone the upgrade was the SA Gears, I got a cloyes kit. It's certainly not as pretty as the SA Gears, but it's a double roller, so whatever. Anyways, I saw in this thread about the oiling groove in on the cam gear (which I assume is the larger of the 2 gears in the set, regardless thats the one I'm talking about). The oiling groove is IMO sloppy, exactly in the middle there's a little ridge. Is this the flashing which needs to be removed? The groove is plenty wide front and back, it's just in the middle where the obstruction is.

thanks!
    1959 AMC Rambler Wagon Project
    1968 AMC Jeep Gladiator J3000 327, SOA
    1978 J10 401/th400/qtrack/d44 3.54 SUA Project
    1990 Toyota Celica ST w/ 97 7AFE 1.8 swap

great thread and great site. i'm just finishing up a ground up build on my 79 cj5 with a 401/727t/f, i put a comp cam and a pro form dizzy, new timeing cover, new oil pump and gear's. beside the leaky head gaskets, i had 25 psi at idle cold and hot when i rev it it dos'nt seen to go up in pressure, is this correct does it need to be under load to make the pressure rise. i don't know if the gear's are gonna break or not, i have to test drive it, trying to fix the head gasket problem. post in engine section. thanks mikey

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    Great info in this site.

I put an HEI in an older 360 and shredded my cam gear. With all this info I don't need to ask questions, I'm getting a matched gear set and should be hitting the trails fast!

651-257-7917 Call your order in!Forum Tech AdvisorVendor!Charter Memberpost padderFloridajeepers.net AdminFSJ fabricatorwww.Bulltear.comGear headModeratorNew to the forumSite AdminWeb GuyThe Web GuyAMCDragracing.comwww.Jeep-CJ.comSite AdminNew to the forumModeratorGear headwww.Bulltear.comFSJ fabricatorFloridajeepers.net AdminCharter Memberpost padderVendor!Forum Tech Advisor651-257-7917 Call your order in!Web GuyThe Web GuyAMCDragracing.comwww.Jeep-CJ.com
    I bought a new short block and it was my daily driving for about a year at about 70 miles a day. It sat for a year and half but I started it once or twice a month while I was restoring the truck. When I finished restoring it I started driving it alot again and everything seemed fine then the cam gear stripped and the fuel pump went out at the same time. Oil pressure was fine.

Can miss matched gears last that long?

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    So with all that, what oil filter do U recomend for a '74 360. I don't know what's in this motor but I did fire it up a while back & it sounded like it had a little work.

Some old pic at that stage of the game.

Here is one w/just the body sitting on it cause I had to move it to my new residence. I have to use a short oil filter cause it is very close to the bracket before the m-mount. U can see the bracket in the first pic.
    [/url]
    84' CJ8-360-Project M170 Jeep
    86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep
    Project CJ8 to M170 Conversion<----Click

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    So are you ALL voting when you see the link??

VOTE

We need to get everybody to click just a once a day!!
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE