Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which brand oil filter Should I use????????

Thank you from BT Grease Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudrat
    Frank, are you saying an off engine filter system (mounted on the fenderwell or where ever)? And your using synthetic lubricants? As for "This board" I'm not sure we've ever dicussed off engine purifiers. We did discuss at some length pre-oilers though. The ones to pump up the oil pressure before you crank the motor. Not really cost effective for what we do though ...

Mudrat
    Yea, I'm currently running a MotorGuard unit with toilet paper rolls. I mounted it on the passenger fender well. I would really like to get some AMC oil from MC, but it's a little beyond my pocket book with all this import thing.. So, I'm going to switch my oil to ExxonMobil Delvac 1 10W40 full synthetic for year round use, I'm still on my first oil change after initial rebuild startup oil dump.. I have about 100 hours on the engine now.. I also run an oil cooler from Permacool (the 250HP model).. All full flow filters only do a fair job at cleaning your oil, the smaller particles that cause wear are not filtered really well, a bypass filter in my book at 80$ and a toilet paper roll of 50 cents per month is not a choice, it's a must. Where I do my fourwheeling is mostly very dusty and in mud swamps sometimes just below the headlights.. I'd say this is a very harsh environment for an engine.. Of course, you also need a good air filter. I like the fact that the TP roll will take some water out of the oil too.. I run about 8 quarts of oil with my current setup as opposed to the normal 5..

can you post some pictures of your setup.
    []|||||||[]
    Its a Jeep Thing ....You Would'nt Understand ...

Unfortunately, my girlfriend is in Nice, France, until mid December.. she took her digital camera with her... I'l see if I can't get somebody to come over and take pics.. I'm not really know for clean work, usually my stuff looks like shit but does the job.. I have this thing, people say I use way too much duct tape.. Especially when they see the piece rapped around my front axle tube.. I have a link with some pictures of the unit. I have changed the TP roll once so far, and it was pretty dirty.. It is said that toilet paper (cellulose fiber) can filter down to 2 microns.. I think the best full flow filters out there barely reach 10 microns..

I wil describe my setup: I have a fitting besides my oil pressure sending line, a rubber hose from that point to the bypass filter, and a return line to a fitting in my oil pan just below the baffle..(a low pressure point) the unit is said to filter about 3 gallons an hour and is pretty well designed. the TP roll fits inside the unit that you can see at www.ralphwood.com a hard core keeps the inside of the TP roll from collapsing.. the oil enters the top and flow through the paper and is collected at the bottom.

My oil cooler is the one that relocates the full flow filter and uses a sandwich adapter which goes where the spin on oil filter used to be. I mounted the full flow verticaly besides the bypass unit. Just for fun I added in the full flow line a mechanical temp gauge. So I can see the temperature of the oil vs. coolant. There can be quite the difference... on the road my coolant is 165F, and the oil around 170 at low rpm. The coolant will stay the same (four core rad on a YJ), but the oil will vary with the rpm.. I've had the oil as high as 230F when playing in some gravel pits, but on the road it usually sits around 190F at 2500rpm going 70Km/h.. This was with dino Valvoine 10W30.. I'm eager to note the differences with the heavier synthetic... Here's a link with some pretty bad pics of the build up this summer.

http://community.webshots.com/user/franknb

I am a firm believer in Mobil oil and I use Bosch oil filters for the availability and price. I suppose that just about anything is better than Fram. It is amazing what people will buy because of mass advertising.
    Jeepin Jay from Wisconsin
    90 Grand Wagoneer, daily driver
    60 CJ5, future project

Jay, what weight of Mobil do you use?

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepinjay
    I am a firm believer in Mobil oil and I use Bosch oil filters for the availability and price. I suppose that just about anything is better than Fram. It is amazing what people will buy because of mass advertising.
    Well the second link sends you back to a BT page, but the link to the Motorguard sytsems is: http://www.bypassfilter.com/

OBTW, the Ralphwood link doesn't work ...
    Pat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Bulltear forum member Cook

just another data point

I have been using Fram filters (gonna change that right now!!) ..and 10w 40 motor oil pretty much year round in all my vehicles 'cept he hot rod lawn tractor (still breaking in a rebuild -- 10 wt: non det). I have used 10-40 HD oil in southern CA, Fla, and IN in the same vehicles with no issues/ I found that the engines tend to consume / leak less oil than with 10-30. Got 150k on the Cherokee before engine swap (broke crank in two) but was still not consuming any measurable amopunt of oil between changes at that point. Did 99.9% on-road hiway driving , tho -- just for sanity check.

regards
    df
    83 cherokee (219k miles - retired 8 28 05)
    77 CJ7 (40k miles - former project)
    84 J-10 Pioneer (Project)
    83 Wagoneer (sold)
    JD 317 hot rod lawn tractor

The last time I used a Fram ( several years ago) was the last time I ever heard a lifter tick on a cold start. Worthless Frams always drained back into the pan.
    I run ( for what it's worth) is either Mobil1, AC or Motorcraft FL1A.
    I also changed over the threaded adapter on the older stuff here to the 91 and later style so I can run and find the full sized filters and not those little stumps. Now all the vehicles in the house take the same filter.