Hello:

Just like to introduce myself. I have had a 79 CJ-7 for about a year and a half now that I bought from a friend. It has went down about 2 friends until it was finally saved by me (these friends do jerry rig work). Anyway, it was equipped with a 304 until my first buddy decided to rev it to like 8k with water as oil and put a piston through the oil pan. He replaced the engine with a 401 from a 77 Wagoneer, and the thing was healthy as ever, and the meanest thing around these streets, not even my 5.0 mustang or my buddies 350 iroc could touch it. Now when I first took it, it's very weak and has a real bad knocking sound. I don't know what it is but i checked the rockers and they werent loose. People suggested a spun bearing and i sure hope if that is what it is, the block isnt destroyed. I'd like to rebuild the 401 .30 over and put a set of 51cc doglegs on it and port and polish it to as much flow as i can get without breaking the bank. Also, I must get pics and share the motor mounts with everyone, they just do not look right! I found out that the 401 should have been able to just drop in there because it was a v8 before, but the mounts just do not look right to me at all, it looks totally different than everyone elses, and yes i am sure it's an original 304 unless someone stuck all old looking stickers in the engine bay that gives engine information.

From another board i met Fuzz401 and thankfully he's close so hopefully i can pick his brain a lot too.

I'll get pics later on, take care all
chris