Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Oil Pump
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Pump

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!! pyagid's Avatar

Oil Pump

Ok I pulled my Oil Pump apart today, the adapter does not seem to be to badly worn. the gears seem the edges are warn, knicked, chamfered. The sides fo teh pump housing seems to be worn as well.

1) Should I attempt to put the midplate and new gears in? to buy me some time for the next 2 months untill my Cj gets stripped to the frame?

2) Should I change the timing cover now as well?

3) Start stripping it down, and start the resto project now?

Also could a high pressure spring be used with this style oil filter adapter?

-Paul

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    It really doesnt look that bad Paul.

1. Make sure the gear to side wall clearance isnt over .004
    2. Make sure the gers stick out at least .003

Factory spec calls out these numbers slightly tighter but our research shows te majority of oil pressure loss with heat to be at .0045 for gear to wall clearance and .003 for gear ends past cover even with a .0085 gasket

If you need a new cover ect. we are doing specials right now in the members only specials area
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Do i use and RTV or Gasket Glue, on the gaskets when i do put it back together?

-paul
    "Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
    - Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.mikeysway.org/ <~~~ Friend of the family. 100% of donations are contributed. All Taxes and fees are paid for by an outside source

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    NO gasket sealer, just the correct gasket between well cleaned surfaces. Anything extra will change critical clearances.

Bob.
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

well everything is with in spec, so As soon as I have some help, or grow a 3rd hand I will be able to put it back together
    - Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.mikeysway.org/ <~~~ Friend of the family. 100% of donations are contributed. All Taxes and fees are paid for by an outside source

Remember to pack the gears with vaseline or something in order to get everything primed again. Good luck.

Bob.
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    DO NOT pack the gears with vaseline

The reason this is a bad idea is that it casues particles to follow the path of the vaseline on startup and drags the over and under the gears scoring the oil fillter adaptor and the top of the oil pump. We built clear polyurethane oil pump molds and discovered the issues with using a substance with a higher viscosity than the oil your using. A light coating of oil and a priming will do the trick. Priming always is neccesary when a engine sites too long or on initial startup and vaseline is not needed nor should be used as a substitute for priming.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

I knew the issues with using vaseline, I did not use it. ANd i also left you a message at the shop

I need a priming tool, or ot go buy a cheap screw driver to cut

-Paul
    - Mahatma Gandhi

You learn something new every day. I've built 9 or 10 AMC engines, and many other makes over the years. I've always used vaseline in the oil pumps to help prime them, never had a problem. I always bring up pressure with a priming tool, then change oil and filter as soon as the 20 minute run for cam break-in is complete. Never had any of my engines come back with any problems.

Bob.
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

and not have it.
    Henry Ford

ok new gears are in, midplate is in, high pressure spring is in

Got my oil pump primer today

Ran it for a little while still not reading anything on the gauge.
    I pulled the line off the back of the gauge and got and air bubble of oil and that is it.

Pulled the line from the pressure point on the block, and got some oil coming from there. But not a stream or anything coming out.

Where should I look next? Yes there is oil in it. I have the oil pressure gauge going into the block that has the Oil Pressure kill switch on it.

Could this be clogged for somereason? And i really am getting oil pressure
    Could I just have a bad pressure gauge?

HELP ME

-Paul
    - Mahatma Gandhi