Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CJ Outboard Kit

Bulltear forum member New to the forum

Can't see pics!

Hey, looks like I may be picking up another Commando pretty soon and I want to use Wag Springs and axles as I have a lot laying around. Probably going to use a T18A I have from a J20 and a Dana 300. I realize I will have to swap input shafts for the shorter body, but I have a T18 with right input but D20 tail. A little creative swapping might do it!

So did you guys eve come up with a kit for this? Even plans would be worth the money as I can cut and weld!

Thanks,

Jesse
    j2sax@yahoo.com
    Jesse
    79, 80 AMX
    82, 83 SX4 (3)
    81 Kammback (4.0 5 spd soon!)
    77 J20 4 dr Project
    86 J10
    bunch of FSJ's

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure the Commando has the same frame width as a CJ in the front. Search for a CJ spring outboard kit, and there are a couple out there. Last one I saw also did a shackle reverse. Even if it's not identical, it's a good start to adapt. Here's a quick one I found: http://shop.poisonspyder.com/Jeep-CJ...n-Kit-s/83.htm

The short input on a T-18 is fairly easy, but there's no way to put a Dana 300 on the back without an adapter (unless you have a 1980 Scout 300). A Jeep 300 has a round bolt pattern and a splined input that wont match up with the T-18 output. Adding the adapter also means swapping the output shaft on the T-18. If you're looking for lower gearing, for the same money as a 300 adapter, you can do the Tera-Low 3.15 kit in the Model 20 t-case.

Interested in a Scout 300? I have a good one in the shed with a T-18 bullgear. I'd let it go for $650 + shipping, which is less than I paid for it. Bought it as a spare because I had one in my CJ. Sold the CJ about 6 months ago.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford