Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
I am going to get beaten for this one cj7 for an 8 - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I am going to get beaten for this one cj7 for an 8

Thank you from BT Master (OIIIO)
    Picked up a different tub and frame, paid a little too much for the damaged tub but with a hamer and a little time she will be straight again or atleast relatively. Gotta hammer out the cowl by the hood hinge mounts (front end impact push hinges into cowl a little) and the rear corners are mashed as ussual but those only need to be close to straight as body armor will hide most blems there.

Overall the oportunity to change to a scrambler was just too appealing.

And there went the budget on this one.
    IF washington wont quit spending money like mad men then i suggest we claim 9 deductions in 2010 and withold or taxes till the final dead line of 4/15/2011.

CJ7 AMC401 http://www.fordification.com/images/forum/bug.gif

"May God have mercy on my enemies, because I WON'T!!" -General George Patton
    Member #377

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    So how is the project coming????? Inquiring minds want to know!!

Thank you from BT Master (OIIIO)
    Now Jack i cant devuldge all my secrets.....

http://community.webshots.com/user/ddestruel

Im kinda stuck in a holding pattern a friend of mine who i trust alot more than myself with a wrench is tinkering.... finishing up my 401 and the NV4500. soon as they are done we'll be putting them in until then im just toying around with fuel lines and finding a fuel tank. Finished up installing the dash, gauges mounting the computer to the dash and fitting everthing.... No Defrost no room, its going to take serious creativity, custom dash guy took it upon himself to move the speedo towards the middle instead of leaving it alone didnt feel like arguing.

havent been too motivated lately. But i still really want to figure out a coil link suspension for the front. so that its in place then tinker with the rear down the road when pocket book is bigger

Working on 5 on 5.5 front brake conversion with in ternal hubs this week and next Getting closer rain seems to slow things down
    IF washington wont quit spending money like mad men then i suggest we claim 9 deductions in 2010 and withold or taxes till the final dead line of 4/15/2011.

CJ7 AMC401 http://www.fordification.com/images/forum/bug.gif

"May God have mercy on my enemies, because I WON'T!!" -General George Patton
    Member #377

Looking good!
    I sorta went the other way ... I stretched an 8 so I could fit a CJ 7 top and still have the back open :-) Same color though

Mudrat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Dusty, Check out last months Ultimate Adventure Part 2 Wrap up - they had a write up on a YJ with a double shackled/leaf spring/4 link suspension. I've seen this type of setup before on a CJ (only had it in the rear) and it works really well. None of the cushy bounce of coil springs, but none of the wander of leaf spring due to the links. Plus lots of flex due to double shackles (one shackle at each end of each leaf spring). Let me know and I can copy it and mail you a copy (sorry-no scanner!).

Jack

PS - Mudrat, how did you get the hard top to fit over the railings of the tub? Did you just trim the corners?

Quote Originally Posted by Lifted79CJ7
    PS - Mudrat, how did you get the hard top to fit over the railings of the tub? Did you just trim the corners?
    Yup - used to work on sailboats as a part time job

Mud
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Mud, a couple other questions - how did yo seal between the hard top and floor? Did you use a regular CJ8 divider that one would use with stubby CJ8 hardtop? Also, how did you reinforce those walls? I would imagine that the door slamming would warp that over time (after the first two years of production AMC had to reinforce that wall on the 7). Have any interior pics?
    Jack
    (Still toying with the idea of stretching my 7 to look like a bobbed 8 this spring)

Quote Originally Posted by Lifted79CJ7
    Mud, a couple other questions - how did yo seal between the hard top and floor? Did you use a regular CJ8 divider that one would use with stubby CJ8 hardtop? Also, how did you reinforce those walls? I would imagine that the door slamming would warp that over time (after the first two years of production AMC had to reinforce that wall on the 7). Have any interior pics?
    Jack
    (Still toying with the idea of stretching my 7 to look like a bobbed 8 this spring)
    Used the CJ8's back panel and grafted on the top section of a 7's corners and finished the the back panel with custom sheet metal from Jims body guy. We cut behind the 'B' pillar so I didn't do anything with the doors or door post.
    If you rlooking to stretch yours you will need several things, first and formost is a big enough shop with a level floor, a pair of rails and 2 frame mounts for the front and back sections. And one hell of a sawsall! Then some channel or box iron the same size as your frame, a couple sheets of galvanized sheet metal (suggest 18 ga not the stock 16) a welder and some time. If you're not good with body work, a body guy that can cut , fit and smooth the body joints. The frame will be fairly well hidden, but needs to be strong.

Mudrat
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

So, you got any pics of that with the top on?

I've been thinkin of doin a simular thing. I want to stretch one, and make a crew cab out of it. Not sure what top I'd start with, probably CJ5, and then use CJ5 doors as the rears. I've also considered slicing it down the middle and widening it. Then it will receive a 6.5 chevy/hummer turbo diesel, a built 700R4, NP205, a skinny 14 bolt, narrowed D44HD front, and some 305s on truck style 16x8 wheels.
    81 CJ8 on fullwidths with TBI 360 and some other stuff.

Texas A&M Off-Road

I have no idea where all my old pics are. I think I was lucky to find those (over inthe readers rides section) I had a lot more of my M38A1 in the sand pits (one was when I was burried up to the top of the tires), My FJ-40 that I rolled and bunches more (Germany, Netherlands and other 'neat places)

Probably find them all when we move ...

Mudrat
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE