Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
I am going to get beaten for this one cj7 for an 8 - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I am going to get beaten for this one cj7 for an 8

Thank you from BT Master (OIIIO)
    Quote Originally Posted by eight
    So, you got any pics of that with the top on?

I've been thinkin of doin a simular thing. I want to stretch one, and make a crew cab out of it. Not sure what top I'd start with, probably CJ5, and then use CJ5 doors as the rears. I've also considered slicing it down the middle and widening it. Then it will receive a 6.5 chevy/hummer turbo diesel, a built 700R4, NP205, a skinny 14 bolt, narrowed D44HD front, and some 305s on truck style 16x8 wheels.

find a cj6 i recall seeing several cj6's that guys poped the insert out of and built a pilar to support the slamming door and body no problems. i also recall seeing an add in an old kaiser jeep catalog that described some type of crew cab like your talking and showed a picture of a cj6 built that way...........................

anything can be done if you have the know how.
    IF washington wont quit spending money like mad men then i suggest we claim 9 deductions in 2010 and withold or taxes till the final dead line of 4/15/2011.

CJ7 AMC401 http://www.fordification.com/images/forum/bug.gif

"May God have mercy on my enemies, because I WON'T!!" -General George Patton
    Member #377

It'd end up having too short of a bed with a CJ6 tub. And I don't want CJ6 front doors. Friend of mine's scrapping his CJ5 in a year or so, said I can have the body if I want, hopefully he doesn't beat it too much more by then.
    81 CJ8 on fullwidths with TBI 360 and some other stuff.

Texas A&M Off-Road

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...53254165bBKxRV
    http://community.webshots.com/photo/...53254212wvOBHb
    http://community.webshots.com/photo/...53254329kbNxQR

http://community.webshots.com/album/197187802NyvokP/1

getting closer. motor is in, steering is attached brakes work.

jeep got its first "go fast award" and it wasnt even running, too bad the CHP was camera shy. Actually got popped for not having 4 seperate chains and binders tying the heep to the trailer (cali thing) if you have a goosneck or tractr trailer you only need two chains but on a low deck ball hitch you need 4 go figure. No seat belt, 70mph in a 55, improper tie downs, out of state drivers license (still a mt one) and a few other infractions including a busted taillight on trailer and an un leashed dog in the bed of the truck. if you're going to do it do it good, walked away with a warning on the speed and a fix it ticket for the drivers license and a little hour or so wait for my friend Ray to come rescue me with two extra chains and binders.

Of all things to shut me down for, ive hauled crap, heavy equiptment ect all over for years with two chains crossed and 3-4 binders on goosenecks and tractors and even slid a car trailer off a 4x4 road into the burrow pit and laid it on its side and didnt damage the car on the trailer nor break the chains never had or heard of anyone in any state outside of ca having a problem with two chains, but i wont complain this time, got off pretty cheap.

next finish the steering column, or replace install the hoses, accessories finish the engine compartment and start wiring, exhaust, and drivelines then fab a roll cage .
    IF washington wont quit spending money like mad men then i suggest we claim 9 deductions in 2010 and withold or taxes till the final dead line of 4/15/2011.

Member #377

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Looking good Dusty! You'l have a beast by summer time - Oh Wait!! You're in CA! It's always summer there isn't it J/K Hope the rain hasn't slowed you down too much.

Mudrat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Man Dusty, that thing looks GREAT! I am truely green with envy! So what size axles are you running? That rear looks like a 60, although it could be a 44? That engine is a monster!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lifted79CJ7
    Man Dusty, that thing looks GREAT! I am truely green with envy! So what size axles are you running? That rear looks like a 60, although it could be a 44? That engine is a monster!!
    That's what yours will look like if you ever start working on it again silly - without the fenders in place of course.

Mudrat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Pat i got those fame mount dug out for you now i just need to slow down and mail em.

Thanks Jack, its getting there only took 3 years. Dana 60 rear, 35 spline 4.88's and a TIGHT power lok. Dana 44 front superior alloys and ox joints power Lok til i get the money for a selectable locker Eaton Elocker but thats not exactly high on the budget priority list, the broken tilt column is next

Havent painted the front clip yet waiting till i finish bolting things on before i do that.

D

Member #377

So are you running a semi float? Where you able to keep the 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern, or did you switch over to 8 lug? Hmm, I just might turn some wrenches tonight.
    Jack
    (Just ordered some body parts and thinking about stretchin the 7 still)

Used a 1967 F100 dana 60 which comes 5 on 5.5 but as a 30 spline use a small bearing and the brake parts are a pain to get so I cut the ends off and welded on the ford 9" big bearing ends used ford F-150 drum brakes. Semi float Dutchman axle shafts semi float, pressed on green bearings, for exactly the reason you said, to keep my 5 on 5.5.

Good enough i thinks cause 36's are probably as big as i'll go, if i ever go that big

The 4.88's seemed about right with 35's and the OD in the tranny, should be snappy.

FYI im also running my old dodge diesel nv4500 that i grenaded (now it has a new short input and the smaller splined output) and a Dana 300 t-case, the only two mods to it are the extended input and clocking ring and a HD tail housing with 1310 yoke and 1310 at the D60.

If i had it to do over again and the CASH i would have bought an Atlas like the one with the NV4500 on pirates page for 2500 bellhousing, tranny and t-case but the budget blues do slow ya down.

Member #377

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty
    Pat i got those fame mount dug out for you now i just need to slow down and mail em.

D
    Thanks Dusty.

Pat
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE