Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Piston Progress
Bulltear Ad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Piston Progress

Piston Progress

After 6 months of searching and talking to different companies I finally recieved pistons today.

Mahle pistons (prounced Marley - or so said by my machinist)
    company webcite: http://www.mahle.com/home.nsf/out/2.1.0.0

Pictures of my pistons: http://photobucket.com/albums/v11/Mi...hle%20Pistons/

They are big pics.... Beforewarned

Best regards
    Mike
    Out to prove that AMC is still one of the best around!

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Look nice! Care to share any info about them?

I'll share what I know...

It is an SBC piston 4.125 bore
    Forged But not sure about Hypereutectic
    Coated Skirts
    Weight is 438 Grams
    Flat Top - Single Vavle releif
    10.2 : 1 CR
    Moly Rings 1.5, 1.5 3mm Rings.

Final Cost was $765 for the set - including Pins and labor for the pin issue.

One of the major problems with this piston is the pin... 0.927" SBC v 0.933" - AMC

These have not been honed out yet, but that is next on the "To-Do" list.

... or bush your rod ends smaller to match?
    '65 J200 401

That thought crossed my mind yesterday...

I'm honestly not qualified enough to make a decision as to which one to go with. My machinist says that bushing the piston a little larger to fit will not be a problem, and I trust his work.

Yep, depending on the piston and your intention it's a toss up. Only when you ream bigger you can't go back (on a $700 set of pistons). I'm not saying that you should, but if the rod was bushed then you retain the option of offset reaming bushings to set your piston height at different levels... say if your block was decked, heads milled, ect. All that may not make a hill of beans worth of difference for the little variance, unless you were also running a high lift cam, needed a lil more valve clearance without having to deepen the valve relief and have to rebalance/re-cc eight pistons. Just thought I'd toss that out there for consideration.
    '65 J200 401

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    They shouldnt have been that expensive dangit. Looks like you are going to run a chevy rod with a stroker crank. Consider the 650hp stroker amc idea and run honda rod bearings with a extended stroke...you will find excellent results as you can extend the stroke beyond that of the average AMC 426 and still use a chevy 6" rod. The Honda bearings are thicker and the outside diameter fit a chevy rod....good combo! Then again the 401 being a close bore to the 302 ford yet is like a 302 over stroked really can be built powerfull without much work....I do enjoy overkill though Mike......Let me know if I can help out in any way
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

I like the idea of bushing the rods...

From what Raymond - machinist - said the piston would have a deck clearance of 0.030 down in the block. This is probably prior to decking the block.

This was not quite my intent, as I wanted to push about a 0.035 Quench. but to acheive the compression ratio we were looking for we had to go with the 0.030 instead of the initialy 0.013 deck clearance.

It is a toss up... The 0.927 pins are shorter than the stock AMC pins. Raymond's going to shorten a new set of AMC pins to provide for lighter weight and fit the .933 rod.

And Ok I know I've been away from the BullTear list for quite some time, but MC what is this about a 650 "kit" with Ricer bearings??? I really feel that I missed something.

The plan is to run the Stock AMC rod - beams have polished of all casting flaws - I just wish I had a picture of them to show - And I'll be using the stock 360 crank.

My goal is initially set at 1 hp per cubic inch. And if I can go beyond that, I hope I don't push more than 500 hp for fear of over stressing the crank. And pushing the most HP is not really my direct goal... I want to make as much torque as I can, while having a reasonable and efficient street engine. (some of this may seem contradictory, but I'm hoping to match components together in hopes of creating a well balanced machine) And Yes the assembly will be balanced - within 1 to 2 grams.

As for bearings... lets start another thread for that.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    The 650 kit is a local who is getting 650hp out of a 447AMC using honda rod bushings a 6" aluminum H-beam eagle rod set and a offset stroked crank. Recipe for fun for sure!
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    OK MC, so you have my interest peaked here!! Since I am getting closer to the machine work part of my rebuild, can you give some more details about this setup? What exactly needs to be done, part numbers, etc. Or can I email this guy? If I am about to get a bunch of machine work done, why not get it done to produce more HP? Given 650 is waaay too much HP for me right now (maybe on the 2nd rebuild I'll kick it up a notch), and knowledge is good knowledge!

OK, So a couple questions for a newbie engine builder. What does “bushing the rods” exactly mean?

Also can you explain this sentence in a little more plain English?
    “I wanted to push about a 0.035 Quench. but to acheive the compression ratio we were looking for we had to go with the 0.030 instead of the initialy 0.013 deck clearance.”
    I guess my real question is exactly what’s quench, and how do you measure it?

Thanks,
    Jack