Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
OK - 'Nother problem
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK - 'Nother problem

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS

OK - 'Nother problem

The spousal unit's (Wife's) 4x4 Suburban got a "Check Engine" lite. Searched the web on how to read the code by jumpering the OBDC plug.. Some said numbers, some said letters. Confused, we took it to the $ealership and have them sort it out. Talked to the Service Rep and he said that since about 97/98 you can't jump the pins without damaging the computer. In fact on the 2005 model Chebby's you can't even rotate your own tires without the computer indicating an engine problem (oil, water, tranny, etc..). Heaven forbid you change air pressure or move up a tire size or 3 (the tranny will be shut down by the computer because it's >10% stock!!!)

WTF is going on with auto makers? I can understand the computer indicating a problem, but the freaken tire Air Pressure!!!!! And what's with "you can't change tire sizes without the dealership installing them!!!!! Is GM trying to LOSE business because of NO user serviceable parts/components!!!!

Are they nutz?

Mudrat - the Pissed off

OBTW the check engine lite was becasue she didn't tighten her fuel cap!!!!
    " 的t is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    the aftermarket should be comming up with ways around some of those issues. as far as reading codes, there are some inexpensive code readers avable, should read anything '96-up obd2, or on some other boards people say autozone stores will read the code for free, if you get the code i'll do what i can to help.
    parting several FSJ'S

Quote Originally Posted by mrtazwrench
    the aftermarket should be comming up with ways around some of those issues.
    One can only HOPE the insanity stops somewhere!!!

as far as reading codes, there are some inexpensive code readers avable, should read anything '96-up obd2, or on some other boards people say autozone stores will read the code for free, if you get the code i'll do what i can to help.
    Thanks. I did the basics to make sure she wouldn't toast a motor/tranny, but the gas cap???!!!!! Geeeze Louize!!!!!

Mudrat
    " 的t is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    Yo Rat.. get this..My 96 S-10 4x4 roasted 3 4l60e trannys cause the dealership kept telling it it was an "Offroad Package" Bigger tires different gears etc, boy you want to see some head scratching! It was under warranty and the third one welded the torque converter to the input shaft!

Not only that but the top speed limiter was set to 95 mph, Now understand I don't normally go booking around at 100 mph but when I pay 20,000 for something I expect to be able to use all of it should I choose to do so.

I will never buy another new chevy just because of the patronizing smug "We did it for your own good attitude"

Whew that slipped into a rant pretty quick didn't it..
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose
    Whew that slipped into a rant pretty quick didn't it..
    Well there is something there to rant about!!

I was reading another BLOG about the 'devices' that are being installed in new vehicles. ON Star is a bigger threat than a help I think. At any time they can toggle your VID and know exactly where you are - good if you need help, but bad if you don't want to be found. How long will it take "The Government" to put a tracker on your car(s)/Jeep(s) just to watch your movements? With crap like On Star they don't have to and they don't need a warrant like they are SUPPOSED to get for your phone or internet line. With the new Patriot Act, they walk in, say so and the service provide MUST comply under the the Patriot Act. No warrant, no explanation, "just do it" or the provider goes to court to defend himself against Big Brother.

Yeah - that's a rant ...

Mudrat
    I keep some foil in the truck now to cover the antenna :-)
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    sorry i didn't see the gas cap part on the orig. post, whenever i get an evap code it's the first thing i check, or ask if they filled up with the motor running, always hope it's simple, finding evap system leaks can be a big pita.
    parting several FSJ'S

sorry i didn't see the gas cap part on the orig. post, whenever i get an evap code it's the first thing i check, or ask if they filled up with the motor running, always hope it's simple, finding evap system leaks can be a big pita.
    No sweat - If I could have gotten a code for evap/fuel system I would have too, but the truck - even with all the digital readouts for oil life, distance traveled, instant and avg mpg, etc. - only had the "check engine" idiot lite. Guess I'm the idiot for buying another GM product.

I'm stick'n with old iron from now on. Anybody know where i can get a '54 Willy's Wagon??

Mudrat
    HEY!!! right now we are #24 but with 1 vote (after mine) we could be #15 Let's go y'all - pretend it's Nov 2 and VOTE!!!!
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Quote Originally Posted by Mudrat
    No sweat - If I could have gotten a code for evap/fuel system I would have too, but the truck - even with all the digital readouts for oil life, distance traveled, instant and avg mpg, etc. - only had the "check engine" idiot lite. Guess I'm the idiot for buying another GM product.

I'm stick'n with old iron from now on. Anybody know where i can get a '54 Willy's Wagon??

Mudrat
    HEY!!! right now we are #24 but with 1 vote (after mine) we could be #15 Let's go y'all - pretend it's Nov 2 and VOTE!!!!
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

[quote="Mudrat"]

Here 'Rat, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...490884443&rd=1
    Hmmm, insert nut and turn....

http://jeepsr4ever.imgbay.com/charter.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERT11
    Quote Originally Posted by mudrat
    Here 'Rat, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...490884443&rd=1
    Hummm ... Dodge ... Willy's ...Willy's ... Dodge sumthing ain't right here ...

Thanks Rob
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE