Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
head mod questions
Bulltear Ad

Thread: head mod questions

Helpfull BT forum member Junior wrench of the Forum

head mod questions

I want to convert my dogleg heads from the bridge style rocker assembly to the stud mounted style Chevy 1.6 / 1.7 rocker arms for the adjustability. Just how much material needs to come off the pedestals to get the correct base height? How deep do I need to have the pedestals drilled and tapped? I need the info so I can tell the machine shop exactly what needs to be done. Thanks!
    '79 CJ7, mild 360, t400 auto, 33" boggers
    '88 YJ, I6, 5 speed, 34" TSL's

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    you will need guide plates too -- due to the big holes the push rods go through compared to the old heads with slots in them

best ever 11.669 @ 112.33 mph in 1/4 mile on 33 x 10.50 slicks and 4" lift / 7.358 @ 93.03 mph in the 1/8 mile

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    They generally mill .250" off the pedestal, that gives you room for the guide plate and adjustability. I'd also increase the size of the bolt hole to 7/16", that allows you to run most standard rocker studs in either 3/8" or 7/16". I used ARP studs # 134-7104 (SB Chevy) with crane gold rockers on my 390 AMX. Harland-Sharp makes a set of roller rockers that will bolt on the late heads with no machining or guide plates, but they are around $450-500. You'd have to compare that to parts and machining on your heads.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford