Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Painting Springs

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!! pyagid's Avatar

Painting Springs

I am going to pull my leaf packs apart, and clean them up. I have seen some people use a graphite paint, so that the springs will slip on each other better.

What about teflon coating them? (there are more teflon coat products than just yoru non stick pans) would this hold up?

Or how woudl you suggest putting them back together for best results

-Paul
    "Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
    - Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.mikeysway.org/ <~~~ Friend of the family. 100% of donations are contributed. All Taxes and fees are paid for by an outside source

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    I tried a little trick , It's too soon to tell if it will last but here it is.

I use a spray on product called MS.Molly In my rifle barrels and on the bullets, It seems to even out the shot to shot velocity, and stays in the barrel till you use an ammonia based solvent to remove it.. Soo I I just put a new set of Rancho 2" Springs in the J-10 and man it rode like a pogo stick.. Took 'em apart and sprayed them with MS.Molly It is a molybdenum disulfide mix with something else any way It rides muuch better but I havent had it on the road long enough to tell ya how durable it will be.. The side benefit is a trick looking leaf pack that is A Gunmetal grey color.

I know cabellas sells MS.Molly About 19.00 a can and it goes a loong way, Wouldn't be surprised if you could do all 4 leaf packs with one.
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

sounds very interesting, I probably wont be doing anything for another 2 months or so,

so let me know how it works out

-Paul
    - Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.mikeysway.org/ <~~~ Friend of the family. 100% of donations are contributed. All Taxes and fees are paid for by an outside source

Here is another trick I heard. Drive around without shocks for a short time. This will help work in the springs. Then put shocks on. I tried this with my recent project and it worked great. But I think I might have waited a little to long because toward the end it was getting really bouncy. But it is a smooth ride now.
    It's not that I am afraid to die....
    It's just that I don't want to be there when it happens -Anon
    Pics of Jeeps

Goose, any update on how the springs are holding up?

-Paul
    - Mahatma Gandhi

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    Yea still holding up no sign of rust or anything.. pried acouple leafs apart and looked in still looking good. It did seem to mellow the ride some.
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    Just beware the Moly will get in your skin & it's painfull, you might get lump under your skin. I know a Deisel mech who uses it allot & this happened to him, he had to get it pulled out like spaggetti.
    84' CJ8-360-Project M170 Jeep
    86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep
    Project CJ8 to M170 Conversion<----Click

Hate to tell you, but Ms. Molly is the same stuff that farmers use on grain wagons to slick up the walls, and it doesn't cost $19 a can at your local farm supply either.

These guys were out to the Varmint hunters Jamboree in Pierre, SD a couple years back and after listening to their speel we (Mic McPherson, Darryl Holland, By Smalley, Fred Moreo, and myself) started grilling them with questions about the product. Out of the three guys there representing them (one being the so-called inventor), no one could give us a real answer. Needless to say, they couldn't give their product away moreless sell any once we got the word around.

Getting back to the topic at hand, there is a gun product that is similar and well proven called Moly Fusion by Shooter Solutions. Here's the info...

http://www.shootersolutions.com/molyfusion1.html
    (Make sure to check out the Corrosion Resistance page as well)

Besides firearm applications we also use this on our cutting tools and machine raceways, and have been really impressed with how well it works. Works great on FL sizing dies as well.
    Jim Baker
    1978 Cherokee 360
    Air-Gap Intake/#1405 600cfm Carb
    TH400 Tranny
    QT T-case

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    But The Parsec Group has government contracts for small arms lubricants (50 cal and below proven in weapons tests at Aberdeen and other places as well as being the lube of choice now for SW Asia), rockets and space craft back down to good ol' F/A-15, 16 and 18 grease and fluid lubricants. Not sure about the Stealth series - I'll have to ask

Oh, and it works great in all my guns (but I only go up to 300 Win mag ) and the truck (5.7 Hemi) jumped 2 MPG when I doused the crank case with a quart

Pat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Just do me a favor and tell me you don't ever use JB Bore Compound in your barrels.
    Jim Baker
    1978 Cherokee 360
    Air-Gap Intake/#1405 600cfm Carb
    TH400 Tranny
    QT T-case