Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Please Help, I need some advice (kinda long)

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    DON'T do the oiling mod unless the engine is apart for rebuild. You won't believe the way that cast iron splinters when you drill and tap it. No matter how careful you are, there's NO WAY you could do it without getting metal frags into the oil passages, and that could kill your motor in short order.

The only time to do it is when you have a bare block on an engine stand, and can clean all the passages with brushes afterward. Doing it on an assembled engine will probably do more harm than good.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Bulltear forum member

gasket part number

I have a 360 in my CJ-7 could I get the Mr. G part number for the intake gasket? I just picked up a performer manifold and soon cam and timing gear. I ordered the valley pan gasket from Jeepdoc and I am not to impressed with stamped steel for an intake gasket.

Thanks
    1983 CJ-7 360, T-18 from MIKE and 4WD Fiberglass body.
    JEEP (Just Empty Every Pocket)

What kind of lifters are you running? Rhoades variable duration lifters can make annoying noises at low RPM. Sounds like one or more rocker arms on a mechanical lifter valve train need adjustment but only sometimes and only at low RPM. They do not do well at AMC oil pressures.
    Bob Fleming

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    Thats good info on the Rhoades lifters.. I was thinking about trying them out.. (you know that ol something for nothing syndrome) more cam and still have torque/idle. but now that you mention it I'm surprised any lifters work at book spec 13-15 psi at idle..

Ahh Ya gotta love the gearhead way of life.
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

Bulltear forum member

Re: gasket part number

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepin002
    I have a 360 in my CJ-7 could I get the Mr. G part number for the intake gasket? I just picked up a performer manifold and soon cam and timing gear. I ordered the valley pan gasket from Jeepdoc and I am not to impressed with stamped steel for an intake gasket.

Thanks
    nevermind
    1983 CJ-7 360, T-18 from MIKE and 4WD Fiberglass body.
    JEEP (Just Empty Every Pocket)

knocking noice

my 79 amx with a 304 does same thing ,i took it to a guy that does nothing but amc;s and told me its cam walk ,even after replacing timing chain it did it.,went and bought a napa chain . NOISE IS GONE!!!!! explain that.