Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
TH400 noise?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TH400 noise?

TH400 noise?

I'm getting a strange noise from my drivetrain, almost the sound you get when your t-case is not fully in gear.

I pulled the dana 20 and replaced with my spare, still getting the same noise.

Now I'm even slipping a little, the Th400 was fully rebuilt a year ago so I don't think it would be the cause....but wondering somethign like the governor?

MC not pointing the finger (mainly cuz I doubt the adaptor could do it) but this has been happening after the new adaptor like I mentioned last may.

This is killing me to figure out the cause
    AHHHH Crap, what did I break this time?

Mudslingerz.com

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    If its slipping it may be your torque converter. Hard to say without having it here. A adaptor if it didnt allow proper tooth engaugment would chip the teeth but not slip. Is your T-case popping out of gear

Nope t-case seems fine.

I'm really thinking about the torque converter now, could explain the noise too.

Mudslingerz.com

Been too lazy to pull the tranny, but if its the torque converter......what would you recommend? TCI? Stall Speed?

Specs;
    TH400
    Dana 20
    5.13 gears

Mudslingerz.com

If a trans is slipping, a converter won't do anything for it.
    Do a damage report. drop the pan and look for debris in the pan and filter.

It was the convertor, it was on the verge of blowing apart........good thing I pulled it when I did.

The crud coming out of it was plugging valves, which is why it was shifting funny.

So the question still goes unanswered, what TC is everyone runnign?

Mudslingerz.com

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    I'm still running the stocker from the Waggy that I pulled the 727 from. What kind of wheeling do you do? I guess that will determine what kind of stall speed you want. As for brands, your guess is as good as mine.

Jack

The converter doesn't have clutches in it to produce crud. The crud is coming from the clutches and the converter only served as a depository.

Thanks Lifted

Old School, thanks for your tranny tidbits. But what I've been asking for is convertor suggestions.

Mudslingerz.com

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    So CJ, are you a rock crawler? If so, the lower the stall speed the better. If you are a mudder, you want to go with a higher stall speed. TCI is supposed to be a good company, and I haven't heard any complaints from B&M, either.

Jack