Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
new 31" s got that bump steering thang goin on-ideas? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: new 31" s got that bump steering thang goin on-ideas?

Bulltear forum member Cook
    hey y'all - thanks much! I appreciate the recommendations. I will try knockin the tire pressure down (I double checked - tires are at 38 right now, rated for 50. ) I thought about the torque effect on the steering box but thought that SURELY some bright Toledo / Detroit design engineer had long ago figured out how to design that out .. oh yeah - this IS a Jeep...

Spring center bolts seem ok all 'round.

thanks again -- will let you know how the experiment progresses.
    df

12/7 -- morning update - set tire pressure to 30 on all 4 -- noticable improvement in handling on my 27 mi. commute. Now I can go back to dozing at the wheel. Lesson here, I guess, is not to assume that the tire pressure set by the tire installer is the RIGHT seting.
    df
    83 cherokee (219k miles - retired 8 28 05)
    77 CJ7 (40k miles - former project)
    84 J-10 Pioneer (Project)
    83 Wagoneer (sold)
    JD 317 hot rod lawn tractor

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    most of the time i set it at the spec recommended for the vehicle.
    parting several FSJ'S

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    Yep Tire pressure either to much or too little can do wierd things.
    On my Semi You could feel when one of 8 dirve tires were low.. it would get vague and wander under accel or decel..you would think the other 7 would mask it but it was there..
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Quote Originally Posted by 3jeepsdeep
    12/7 -- morning update - set tire pressure to 30 on all 4 -- noticable improvement in handling on my 27 mi. commute. Now I can go back to dozing at the wheel. Lesson here, I guess, is not to assume that the tire pressure set by the tire installer is the RIGHT seting.
    df
    Glad to hear things have improved
    To review a bit, the pressure listed on the sidewall is the max pressure needed for the load rating. There have been several articles in numerous 4X4 mags on how to set the correct air pressure for your particular ride. Basically air up & draw a fat white chalk line across EACH tire and drive a straight line for 25-30 yards and look at the "wear pattern" on the chalk. Drop pressure and repeat until the chalk line on EACH tire is warn across the tread. That will be your 'ideal' pressure at that weight.
    What this does is account for the weight differences front/rear and left/right. It will change with load. For example in the truck, when the bed is empty I'm about 35 lbs F/R, but when I haul 1500 lbs of gravel or rock, or put the Jeep and trailer on, I'm up to 45 front and 55-60 LBS rear(this is a Dodge HD2500, long bed, 4dr by the way). I haven't tested my CJ yet with the 35's since it's not on the road - - - yet.

Mudrat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

glad you got the problem solved =D>
    83 eagle (r.i.p.)
    85 gl1200 gold wing LTD pilot
    1999 gl1500C valkyrie(plain gold wing)
    1994 jeep grand cherokee limited pilot
    McDonnell Douglas c-17 mechanic
    corrupting people since 1962

I have to keep one of my back tire's at 27psi and the other at 28psi. If I don't the locker will throw me all over the road when I speed up or slow down

that can't be good
    83 eagle (r.i.p.)
    85 gl1200 gold wing LTD pilot
    1999 gl1500C valkyrie(plain gold wing)
    1994 jeep grand cherokee limited pilot
    McDonnell Douglas c-17 mechanic
    corrupting people since 1962

Thanks for the help, y'all!! the 'wandering Indiana' tire problem is mostly resolved, no worse than any of the other typical stuff.

here's a few pic's from way before the great tire upgrade (hey, it's what I have, ok?).

And way earlier yet before big project (was delivered to me in boxes in 1998 -- "Christmas Present for wife:' Hey, she got to do first fire / start; present enuff, right?? I'm sticking with jewelry ever since).

cheers df
    83 Wagoneer (sold)

Looks like FSJ.com doesn't allow remote linking Any other place you have them posted?

Mudrat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Quote Originally Posted by Mudrat
    Looks like FSJ.com doesn't allow remote linking Any other place you have them posted?

Mudrat
    Unfortunately no, sorry! Any ideas for free pic hosting or other ways to post a pic here?

I tried copy/pasting the link from my posting into a rowser address bar and it seemed to work even tho the pic wasn't originally displayed.

thx
    df
    83 Wagoneer (sold)