Thread: Best 401 carb swap

Best 401 carb swap

I have a 77 chief w/ an 401 w/ an old worn out AFB that the PO put on it. I can't get it to run correctly. I'm looking to replace it w/ a new carb beause I like the pieace of mind of knowing whats on my rig. I have the stock manifold w/ an adapter to the AFB. What carb would u gus recomend for moderate wheeling and DD duty. I'm pretty new to carbs because they were pretty much obsolete by the time i was born. Thanks for all the help in advanced
    AMC....Got love it

Also, what is a good place to buy carbs? any site's w/ good prices?
    AMC....Got love it

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Check ebay for carbs, both new and used. I've heard people saying good things about the Holley Truck Avenger, and the Edelbrock (which is basically a Carter design). I don't have any experience with either.

For off-road, you can't beat EFI. I have Howell EFI (modified GM TBI) on my CJ. You could also check with MC here on the board for prices on the new Edelbrock port EFI.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

I wish i had the money for EFI, but i'm a poor college student. So i will check around e-bay. what is a good price for a used truck avenger or edelbrock?
    AMC....Got love it

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    You should be able to pick up either used for $100-175. I've seen new Avengers on ebay for $300-400. I just picked up a 750 CFM Edelbrock nearly new in the box with paperwork for $100 at a local swap meet.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

I was going to buy a truck avenger myself, but a friend told me you can buy the spring loaded needle and seats seperately. I already have a holley vacuum secondary so I might as well try it.I have a wealth of Holley off-road Knowledge at my disposal at work, so hopefully I will learn all of the secrets and the world will be mine and.....uh,my carb will work.
    "If you're gonna be stupid you gotta be Tough!"-My former boss after literally knocking myself out.

76 Wagoneer-401
    Zusucki Samurai
    63 Nova SS Convertible
    Piles of junk in every zipcode

Thank you from BT Grease Monkey
    Years ago I used the spring loaded needle and seat, worked great in an off-road application. When you find a set, could you send me a part number?

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Quote Originally Posted by thigh19
    Years ago I used the spring loaded needle and seat, worked great in an off-road application. When you find a set, could you send me a part number?
    Ditto - post it up here on the board - we'll give you credit for the 'research'

Mudrat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

yes I would like to know the part number also.
    88 Jeep
    360/727
    Project/moneypit