Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
1.6 Roller Tip Rockers

Thread: 1.6 Roller Tip Rockers

Thank you from BT Grease Monkey

1.6 Roller Tip Rockers

I purchased a set of 1.6 Ford Roller Tip Rockers. I was told that I would have to Chevy studs and pushrods. Looking up the #'s in the Jegs catalog, the pushrods are the same part # as AMC and I don't visually see the difference in the rockers. Have I been fed wrong info or is there merit to what I've been told.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    You can use ford small block roller rockers as far as pushrod length I am not sure. I can send you a stock one if you think it will help
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

I have many sets of stock ones, but thanx anyway.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Which heads are you running? If you have 75 or newer heads with the bridged rockers, you need to have some machine work done to use roller rockers. Only Harland-Sharp makes a bolt-on replacement for the bridged rocker that requires no machining ( http://www.harlandsharp.com/bolton3.htm ).

Generally you need to have the rocker pedestal on the head machined down about .250", you need to add guide plates and hardened pushrods (same length as SBC), and you need to have the bolt holes enlarged from 5/16" to 7/16", and use Chevy style screw in studs.

You can use 70-74 heads that have the Chevy style rockers from the factory by just replacing the studs with a Chevy replacement.

I used Crane Gold rockers on my 390 AMX, a P/N specifically for AMC. I still had to use a pushrod .100" longer than stock to center the tip of the roller on the top of the valve.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

What about 1:7 ratio?

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    So the older AMC heads are a single non bridged rocker??
    Meaning they are adjustable? The reason i ask is the cams I am looking at for the 1969 290 are all requiring adjustable rockers.
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Up to 73, AMC used a GM style rocker, BUT, they aren't adjustable from the factory. You just run the nut down on a shoulder on the stud to a set torque.

They are easily made adjustable using small block chevy studs and nuts available in the aftermarket. I used ARP SBC studs with extra height for stud girdles and a set of generic "cool nuts" on my AMX.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford