Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Most carnage you have seen

Thread: Most carnage you have seen

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!! pyagid's Avatar

Most carnage you have seen

this is coming from the following thread http://www.bulltear.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3211

What is the most carnage you have seen with a motor?

I went and picked up a jeep for a buddy. The guy we got it from said he could jump it and the motor would start right up. I looked over the jeep, looked over it. Then asked him again if he was sure it would start he said yep.

So i reached under the oil pan, pulled 2 pushrods, out of teh hole in the oil pan, 2 bearings. and I think what was remaining pieces of a rod.

Needless to say, but the block was best used as a boat anchor

Then he said, ok maybe it wont start. When we got the jeep home, the cam came out in 4 pieces, all the pushrods but 1 was bent 2 broken rods. Plus other misc damage internally. I wish had pictures of it, but it was before i had a digital camera

-Paul
    "Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
    - Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.mikeysway.org/ <~~~ Friend of the family. 100% of donations are contributed. All Taxes and fees are paid for by an outside source

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    my motor

best ever 11.669 @ 112.33 mph in 1/4 mile on 33 x 10.50 slicks and 4" lift / 7.358 @ 93.03 mph in the 1/8 mile

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    Back when Nitrous first became available Me and a buddy decided to build a sleeper, We put one of the 2300 cc motors from a mustang II with a turbo in a stripped down pinto with nitrous..I think it withstood about 5 or 6 shots, When it grenaded It broke the crank, one piston siezed in the bore and had melted a hole in another one. I think that little motor was probably spinning 8 grand when it came apart. Pretty spectacular.
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Toss up between 2, both Jeep CJs with 304s.

One had a cylinder wall failure, about a 2" diameter piece of the cylinder wall in the water jacket fell out. I don't know if it hydro-locked from anti-freeze or the piece jammed the piston, but the engine siezed instantly, and bent the rod severely.

The second was mine. Broke a valve going about 60 MPH down the interstate. It broke right at the head of the valve, the stem popped up and the keepers fell off. The stem then fell and punched a couple of holes in the top of the piston before bending 90 degrees and being crushed back into the valve seat. Bent the connecting rod too, but it didn't let go. We never did find the head of the valve, all we can figure is it went out the exhaust somehow.

Sorry, but these were both 20 odd years ago, before digital cameras.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    watched my uncles 69 ss396 pro street chevelle throw a rod out the side
    of the block on the way to a get together. lucky for him it let go 1/2 mile
    from dads house so dad and my uncle dropped a new (1000hp net)
    396 into the chevelle. dad had this engine already done just needed
    a chevelle to stuff it in. it was also outfitted with a 400hp nitrous kit and
    dyno's at 1400 hp when used. i disconnect the switch when i drive the
    brute. no pix sorry
    later, rollen
    83 eagle (r.i.p.)
    85 gl1200 gold wing LTD pilot
    1999 gl1500C valkyrie(plain gold wing)
    1994 jeep grand cherokee limited pilot
    McDonnell Douglas c-17 mechanic
    corrupting people since 1962

I had a 304 once that took out the center of the engine. The rod snapped up by the piston and kept spinning in the block busting everything out.
    It's not that I am afraid to die....
    It's just that I don't want to be there when it happens -Anon
    Pics of Jeeps

Thank you from BT Gear Head
    I had a 360 let go on me about 2 hrs afterI installed it. Dont know what let go to start with but, the only parts I was able to save from the whole works were 1 valve cover and the intake manifold. Crank was twisted, 3 rods broke, cam in 3 peices, all valves bent, holes thru tops of 4 pistons, peices of retainers thru 1 valve cover, block was windowed in 2 places.
    Like I said I dont know what let loose to start it all but it sure turned it into a big boat anchor in a hurry.
    BTW this happened in my driveway, with the motor spinning about 5500-6000 rpm.
    ...and the peasants danced