I have a pretty good challenge that I think most people seem to have no answer for... Maybe you can help? This is long.

I have an FSJ (86 GW). It weighs 5500#. It has a 3 speed auto with low stall converter. It has tall gears (33" tires, 3.73:1) and a 4" lift. I take it four wheeling. It has a 3" exhaust with Magnaflow muffler.

The 360 in it now was rebuilt about 10k miles ago. It has a Comp Cams 260H, AFB, Edelbrock dual-plane Performer, and 8.5:1. It STRUGGLES to get me up the rocky mountain passes west of Denver. The only way to get up most passes without my foot to the floor is to run 2nd at 55-60. I want more power. Do NOT tell me I haven't tuned it right after 2 years of trail and error-- and improvements-- unless you plan to drop by this Saturday and fix it for me. :D

I run 2000-2800 rpm in the 40-75 mph range. About 2600 @ 65. I have virtually no power in this rpm range as evidenced by lots of throttle to get up even slight hills and slowdown on big hills at altitude. The auto trans never lets the motor see more than 4000rpm by the way so the Chevy answer of building all the power from 3500-5500rpm isn't going to work. :D

I now have a 401 in the garage waiting to be built. Your challenge is-- can you build a motor that will solve my power woes -- without changing anything else about the vehicle? You are allowed to change exhaust. :) How would you build it?

What I really want to know is what kind of torque curve would you shoot for??? What power band would you select? Would you rather have more hp at 4000 or more torque at 2000? Or a balance?

Does any of this make sense? Am I insane? Wrong? Stupid? :D

Many thanks!!

Michael