Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TFI upgrade?

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum

TFI upgrade?

Has anyone bought the Juice Box set up, I was thinking of it or just going to NAPA to get the Ford dizzy parts?

I'm gonna do Peaches 86' & I looked up the upgrade on JeepZ but I saw the juice box write up also.

I had MSD on my 79' & I liked it but I don't really need to go that route w/her Jeep.

Thanks,
    RollBar
    84' CJ8-360-Project M170 Jeep
    86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep
    Project CJ8 to M170 Conversion<----Click

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!! pyagid's Avatar
    here is a right up for teh 8 cyl http://www.ifsja.org/tech/electrical...nupgrade.shtml

for teh 6cyl, the HEI is a very easy swap. Get a distributor from one of these vehicles http://www.mesa4x4.com/tech_articles...i/258_hei.html

swap a Distr gear from a AMC v8 Distr. and run 1 hot wire to teh cap

you are all set

Paul
    "Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
    - Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.mikeysway.org/ <~~~ Friend of the family. 100% of donations are contributed. All Taxes and fees are paid for by an outside source

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!! pyagid's Avatar
    here is a better write up to the HEI for the 258 swap http://www.geocities.com/jeeperaz/hei.htm
    "Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
    - Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.mikeysway.org/ <~~~ Friend of the family. 100% of donations are contributed. All Taxes and fees are paid for by an outside source

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Rollbar - the TFI is easy and you don't need to swap dizzy's, gears or anything else. Get the parts from a F150 6cyl, the TFI coil and new wires and your done - except timing. I'm running about 10*

There was a good write up on JeepZ that listed all the parts and the MFR P/N's that you can get, but it looks like it's been pulled for some reason. I'm looking on my drive to see if I saved it since it saved me a lot of research :lol

Paul posted an article from IFSJA that has a write up on how the TFI kicks HEI butt, and some part numbers towards the bottom.
    And yet another about it by Keith HERE also has wiring diagrams.
    I did the whole nine yards - Nutter bypass, TFI and dumped the Carter for a Webber (which means I got rid of the computer all together) so I had a bunch of wires hanging around that I fixed with WeatherPac connectors to make them all mud-tight

Mudrat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Thanks Paul & Thanks Rat.

Rat, I'm getting a weber for HER CJ, & I did the Nutter already, can't wait untill I do the dizzy.

RollBar

P.S. The ONLY reason I'm doing it is I'm useing it as my DD untill the 8 get finished w/the 360 in it & I need some speed.
    86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep

Quote Originally Posted by rollbar
    Thanks Paul & Thanks Rat.

Rat, I'm getting a weber for HER CJ, & I did the Nutter already, can't wait untill I do the dizzy.

RollBar

P.S. The ONLY reason I'm doing it is I'm useing it as my DD untill the 8 get finished w/the 360 in it & I need some speed.
    Webber 36 or 38?? And I can't wait to build my 360!!!

Mudrat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

I have to look, it's a FREEEEEBBBEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, ,,, about three months old, a friend of mine bought a 258 & it was on it & he said he didn't want it so he gave it to me yesterday.

P.S. I got his motor sitting out back,
    86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep

O.K. the bad news, as I said b-4 I didn't check to see if it was a weber, I was told it was.

Just checked, It say's built for carter carborators of st. louis.

So I guess it's a carter, it has a stepper motor on it & the top vacuume port (plastic) but the fule line goes exactly in the center of the float bowl toward the bottom.

The engine is a 89' yJ so I guess it's for that yr. cause I have a carter bbd on her's now & it looks like a copy, BUTTTTTTTTT I still have the 2100 I got from Paul todo the upgrade on her 6 (no not the rear, the 25, .
    86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep

Quote Originally Posted by rollbar
    O.K. the bad news, as I said b-4 I didn't check to see if it was a weber, I was told it was.

Just checked, It say's built for carter carborators of st. louis.

So I guess it's a carter, it has a stepper motor on it & the top vacuume port (plastic) but the fule line goes exactly in the center of the float bowl toward the bottom.

The engine is a 89' yJ so I guess it's for that yr. cause I have a carter bbd on her's now & it looks like a copy, BUTTTTTTTTT I still have the 2100 I got from Paul todo the upgrade on her 6 (no not the rear, the 25, .
    Well that's bad news about the Carter - but you also have a spare engine!!

Mudrat
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Actually 2, 360's (1 coming in a week) & a extra 258, the one I just got is sold, but I may have one more by Saturday. This Jeep stuff is getting crazy .
    86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep