Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Tell me what this is
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell me what this is

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS

Tell me what this is

OK, first off I'm an idiot, so get over it. I've not ever dealt with axles at all.
    I bought these on line from a guy in Upper Alabama. Advertised as Dana 44's from a late 80's Blazer. He had them under his CJ7 but was going to Rockwells and a 454

Anyway, got'm, slid'm under the CJ and the rear perches matched up fine
    The front was more difficult (as some of you may remember) due to the shackle reverse and outboarding issues with 3/8" frame plates - but the front is done and it LOOKS like a 44.
    (mines cleaner, with a hi-steer though )

The rear however is round w/about a 10.5 ctr-ctr bolt pattern, 2-3/4 tubes and has 12 bolts in the cover, no C-clip, and 28 splines. The outter bearing end is a 4 bolt flange, with way different axle shafts than the AMC20. And this is supposed to be a Detroit with 4.56's. I'm having doubts on that too (Eaton?)!!!

Larger axle view

Click for a different view

It doesn't look like a Chevy 44??

The two rear shafts (old//spares)

No castings on the pumpkin or webs except the large N on top???

What the hell is it??? I've got to get parts and new front spare axles
    Thanx

Mudrat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Rear is a AMC 20 or 23 depending on where your from its a full size jeep 20 and if the front is only 4 inches wider than it is from a full size jeep as well.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Quote Originally Posted by jeepsr4ever
    Rear is a AMC 20 or 23 depending on where your from its a full size jeep 20 and if the front is only 4 inches wider than it is from a full size jeep as well.
    Thanks, the lied to me!!! rough measurements put it around a 59-60" WMS. Well at least I know what bearings and crap to buy now. But I AM going to look further into the front axle it came out at 63" WMS

Thanks

Pat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    The top pic is a 44. The second pic is an AMC20, the carrier is a Detroit locker. With the 6 on 5.5" pattern, I'd guess from a Wagoneer from the 80s. At that time they had an axle with the cast hub welded to the axle shaft, instead of the 2 piece axles like a CJ.

I believe the 3rd pic is the Chevy medium duty 14 bolt with the 9.5" ring gear, NOT a dana 44. It was used in some "heavy 1/2 ton" and 3/4 ton GM trucks in the early 90s. It still had a 6 on 5.5" pattern.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT Master (OIIIO)
    3rd picture is a corporate 14 bolt with 30 spline 1.5" axle shafts and a 10.5" ring gear the medium duty looks like a watermelon where as corporate 14 bolt looks like a diamond with squared edges you are right about the bolt patterns and applications the corporate is a full float design with 8x6.5 pattern the semi float came as bob said in two variations 6 or 8 luf but is a semi float.... flanged axle. top picture is definately a d44. SOA i would be looking at a dodge or a chevy check the spindles if they are large bearing or small, if it is chevy and a dana 44 with small spindles and small bearings and internal hubs it came out of a 77 or earlier chevy if it is large bearing/spinle using the internal style hubs look to a dodge or J-truck.

Definately an AMC 20 out of a gagoneer or J-truck with one piece axles bobs right.
    IF washington wont quit spending money like mad men then i suggest we claim 9 deductions in 2010 and withold or taxes till the final dead line of 4/15/2011.

CJ7 AMC401 http://www.fordification.com/images/forum/bug.gif

"May God have mercy on my enemies, because I WON'T!!" -General George Patton
    Member #377

OK, so the consensus is the round pumpkin (the second pic) is a Waggy AMC 20 (that one is mine) and it really is a Detroit in there.

So now I need the P/N or a source to get replacement bearings and seals and the one bearing retainer since it's missing.

Now on to the front end ... if the rear is a Waggy, the front may be too. Any web markings I shoule look for?
    More to follow as I get time and sober up - I'm still pissed about being taken advantage of

A nasty gram will be forwarded to the guy I got these from, maybe his conscience is still bothering him

Thanks guys
    Mudrat
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum

best ever 11.669 @ 112.33 mph in 1/4 mile on 33 x 10.50 slicks and 4" lift / 7.358 @ 93.03 mph in the 1/8 mile

Well CRAP Fuzz!!! This means I have to actually teak the axle aprt to match bearing/race numbers

Cool, gotta do it anyway

Best do it soon too I guess, got a deal running on a set of CTM U-joints ...

Pat
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Thank you from BT Master (OIIIO)
    with it being a spring over housing itisnt a jeep front end.

As to CTM's remember you gotta goto alloys otherwise they will oblong stock axle ears.

sweet
    IF washington wont quit spending money like mad men then i suggest we claim 9 deductions in 2010 and withold or taxes till the final dead line of 4/15/2011.

CJ7 AMC401 http://www.fordification.com/images/forum/bug.gif

"May God have mercy on my enemies, because I WON'T!!" -General George Patton
    Member #377

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Yes thats right it must be a chebby front maybe cut down
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689