Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
CJ8-Gas Tank?

Thread: CJ8-Gas Tank?

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum

CJ8-Gas Tank?

O.K. I'm gonna install the gas tank in the 8 & I don't want to install the original 15gal tank & I was wondering w/the CJ8 length is there another tank I can install that is NOT made by/for Jeep. I know about the plastic 20gal etc. but was wondering if something like a Bronco or.........well U get the picture.

I would like to @ least have a 20gal+ tank.

I know about the aero tanks etc.

Thanks,
    RollBar
    84' CJ8-360-Project M170 Jeep
    86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep
    Project CJ8 to M170 Conversion<----Click

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Don't know bro - never tried or looked into this one. Just Gooogle and see what others have tried I guesssssssss.

Mudrat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    I got my tank from Trail Quest. It's a 22 gallon with a steel skid welded on. They also built it with the mounts 1" lower, so it rides 1" higher (I have a 1" body lift). They also built it for a GM in tank fuel pump to go with my EFI. It has a tapered rear, so it doesn't affect departure angles, and so far, I think I've only hit something with it once. The bottom with the skid is almost 3/8" thick (1/4" diamond plate skid + 12 gauge tank).

I really like it. www.trailquest.com

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    Thanks BOb, I'll check it out.
    84' CJ8-360-Project M170 Jeep
    86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep
    Project CJ8 to M170 Conversion<----Click

Thank you from BT Master (OIIIO)
    Quote Originally Posted by tufcj
    I got my tank from Trail Quest. It's a 22 gallon with a steel skid welded on. They also built it with the mounts 1" lower, so it rides 1" higher (I have a 1" body lift). They also built it for a GM in tank fuel pump to go with my EFI. It has a tapered rear, so it doesn't affect departure angles, and so far, I think I've only hit something with it once. The bottom with the skid is almost 3/8" thick (1/4" diamond plate skid + 12 gauge tank).

I really like it. www.trailquest.com

Bob
    tufcj

Bob with your trail quest how much lift are you running? spring lift and what rear axle? my dana 60 is really close and the tank hangs down about 1/2 way across my diff cover seems kinda low to me but not a big deal. Just curious. i also noticed a little room for improvement in the tank like they could have welded mine about 1" higher intot he frame and still been able to clear the fuel lines etc. did you notice that with yours? definately nice i like the tapered rear and heavy skid plate
    IF washington wont quit spending money like mad men then i suggest we claim 9 deductions in 2010 and withold or taxes till the final dead line of 4/15/2011.

CJ7 AMC401 http://www.fordification.com/images/forum/bug.gif

"May God have mercy on my enemies, because I WON'T!!" -General George Patton
    Member #377

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    My CJ is SOA on 1.5" lift springs, giving me a total of about 7" of lift. The top of the diff is about even with the bottom of the tank. I do use a 2" bump stop extension to limit negative arch on the spring, and the diff cover is close on compresion, but no clearance problems. I'm going to a 60 before this fall, hopefully it will clear. I'm having it narrowed to 56", doing gears (4.88 ), a Detroit and disc brakes before it goes in.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT Master (OIIIO)
    I narrowed mine to 56" also but used drum brakes. Interesting. Thanks for the insight. im at 4.5" SUA and i can see that an additional 2+ inches would make quite a difference.

I doubt you'll have any issues. thanks again
    IF washington wont quit spending money like mad men then i suggest we claim 9 deductions in 2010 and withold or taxes till the final dead line of 4/15/2011.

CJ7 AMC401 http://www.fordification.com/images/forum/bug.gif

"May God have mercy on my enemies, because I WON'T!!" -General George Patton
    Member #377

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Try Aero Tanks, in Corona CA. They build custom tanks, just measure it out and send in your specs! Also check out www.trailquest.com.