Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
AMC 304 Build-Up
Bulltear Ad

Thread: AMC 304 Build-Up

AMC 304 Build-Up

I posted this same thread about AMC's 304 on pirate4x4 and everyone told me this is the place I should ask. Here goes.

I have just completed a full restoration on my 74 CJ5. I have an AMC 304 w/ 20k miles in excellent condition. Mods include 1-5/8" Hedman Hedders, 3" dual exhaust, & Flowmaster's Delta Flow 40 Series Mufflers. All of the smog hardware has been removed.

I'm interested in Edelbrock's Performance Package, which includes cam & lifters, valve springs, timing chain, intake manifold, & 600 cfm carb. The specs to the power package are at
    http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/amc_1a.html

I'm curious about the performance and reliability of this engine setup. More specifically, RWH and MPG. I want to know if this is a worthwhile investment. Also, will the stock distributor & ignition need to be upgraded to ensure complete combustion?

PS: I don't need anyone telling me the exhaust is too much. In my opinion, the less back pressure the better and I like my old CJ LOUD. Secondly, I don't need to hear how shitty the AMC 304 is. I already know. That's why I'm looking for an upgrade. Any personal experience, related topics, or tech info is appreciated. After the build up, I'll post pics and info. for anyone else interested in upgrading their 304.
    Here's to you, here's to me.
    May we never disagree.
    But if we do, F*CK YOU!
    Here's to me.

MC, I know you already responded to this in pirate4x4. I'm definately interested in purchasing Edelbrock parts. I just want to do my homework and make sure this is the best route. Thanks.
    Here's to you, here's to me.
    May we never disagree.
    But if we do, F*CK YOU!
    Here's to me.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    I run the performer kit in my 360. I'm quite happy with the low end torque, since I use it mainly for rock crawling. It does run out of steam at about 4500 RPM. Rev it above that, you're just wasting gas and making more noise.

I don't think the 304 is a bad engine at all. When I lived back in the midwest, I mud bogged with my CJ. It had a .030 over, 10:1 compression, balanced and blueprinted 304 in it. It revved easily to 6500 RPM, and made good horsepower. It surprised a lot of folks who expected to see a SBC when I lifted the hood. I only went to the 360 because I eventually broke a piston (after many years of extreme abuse) and scored the cylinder. I didn't have the money to rebuild again, and I got the 360 for free.

Never had dyno runs on either engine, so I can't give you torque or HP measurements, but the edelbrock kit is a big improvement over stock by the butt dyno.

AMC engines respond well to mild port/polish and 3 angle valve jobs. Spend some money on the heads to really wake it up.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    I ran this package on my 304 and loved it. Like tufcj said, it does run out of steam at 4500rpm. I will probably adust the timing chain a little to move the torque curve higher up the rpm range when I finish my 401. Good setup!

Helpfull BT forum member Admiral of the Forum
    You won't be dissapointed with that package. I have Edelbrock cam&lifters, performer intake, carter afb, and stock manifolds. I used a timing set from 4wdHardware, and the guy I had redo my heads said that the valve springs were stronger than anything he'd ever seen, and he does a lot of amc. I am really impressed with my package. Oh, it is also totally rebuilt, with just run of the mill cast pistons. I kinda did the motor on the cheap, so I could afford the cam, bought the intake from ebay, etc. but I am definitely happy with what I have. Just make sure you don't get too froggy with the timing. I got too much advance, and wound up with backfiring and such, backed it off some, and voila! More power, and no backfire. I think when I get back to work, I may get a set of edelbrock Shorty headers, just because I already had a $400 custom exhaust built for this thing, and I don't want to modify it to accept any other header.

If I did it over again, I wouldn't do it any different, nor would I go to a 360. 304 is plenty enough for me.
    79 (mostly) CJ 7 304, T-18, D300 D44s, Spring over lift on 35s

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Basically edelbrock tailored the performer package for the AMC 304 to increase power on all levels but still make it usable for most applications. Its a solid answer to building a decent 304

Let me know when your ready for parts and I will cut you some deals
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689