Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
T-18 to D300 adapter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T-18 to D300 adapter

Helpfull BT forum member Admiral of the Forum

T-18 to D300 adapter

How about making a plate adapter to use the D 300 behind a t-18 that already has the bull gear for the D20. I guess it would also work for teh T-150 etc, since they came with a D20 factory. Or maybe the tranny pattern is different. I dunno. I think that someone could make a ring type adapter to run the Jeep d300 in place of D20. What do you think guys?
    79 (mostly) CJ 7 304, T-18, D300 D44s, Spring over lift on 35s

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    hmmmmm I will have to look into this
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!! pyagid's Avatar
    Jeep dana 20 and Dana 300 are different. They it is not just a bolt pattern change that needs to be done. You need to change teh output shaft on the tranny too.

-Paul
    "Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
    - Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.mikeysway.org/ <~~~ Friend of the family. 100% of donations are contributed. All Taxes and fees are paid for by an outside source

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    I think we would pull the bullgear and make a input spud
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

I like the way MC is talking. Cut the input back to make a spud shaft for the stock D300 input. Then it is just a matter of making the adapter ring. There just has to be a cheaper way than the $500+ adapters advance sells. I was thinking if you could take the input out of the 300 and get it bolted to the T-18, you could somehow get the 20's bull gear to engage where the stock inut gear meshed originally. If I didn't have my 300 torn down, I could look at it closer myself. I'm gonna split the T-18 and D20 today, just gotta do my homework first I hate college I like college LOL

MC, I got it fingered out! The input shaft for a Jeep dana 300 needs to be resplined for the six spline t-18 output. Then machine an adapter from t-case to tranny. This would have to be the easiest way, because you pull the input Shaft/bearing assy. from the Tcase, and two snap rings and you have the shaft out, a mild press fit on the bearing, and you have a bare shaft in your hand. include a new shaft and plate adapter in a kit for $200-$250 and you'd have a winner. I'd buy ten if I had ten T-18's. I'll see if I can get some measurements in the next couple days (my buddy is borrowing my only mic-can you tell I use it alot). I also think you could respline the input gear for Jeep D300 and have the scout bull gear. The size of these two gears (D20, D300) looked close to the same, it was the tooth direction that was wrong. this is way easier than trying to change a mainshaft in a transmission.

Thank you from BT Master (OIIIO)
    Potentially a shorter setup than what AA is offering to because of the resplining and using of the T-18 output VS a spud shaft etc and lengthenign of the combo. I know my friend Jim has hunted for a scout D300 and gear for years without any luck he has several Jeep D300's but in a CJ5 a T-18 with AA and D300 is too long this might be a logical alternative
    IF washington wont quit spending money like mad men then i suggest we claim 9 deductions in 2010 and withold or taxes till the final dead line of 4/15/2011.

CJ7 AMC401 http://www.fordification.com/images/forum/bug.gif

"May God have mercy on my enemies, because I WON'T!!" -General George Patton
    Member #377

yeah, to me, it seems more logical to try and respline the transfer case inout becuse Novak builds these shafts new, meaning there is a ready supply. The bolt adapter can be machined out of a block of aluminum, so that's not too much trouble. You could either cut off the t-18 mainshaft at the threads for the bull gear nut, or it would probably make more sense not to do that in case for whatever reason, you would want to put a D20, or scout 300 back in. I have a scout 300 case, everything but the bull gear, and now I need the bull gear. I think you can respline the D300 input gear to work as a T-18 bull gear, just a matter of doing it. Who does resplining?

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    There was a company here in Colo called Rock-Hard products. They had a prototype adapter that was only slightly thicker (about 3/8") than the steel T-18 to model 20 adapter. It used a Jeep Dana 300 t-case, but needed a Scout bull gear, which they put a 3/8" spacer behind, on the stock T-18 output shaft. They were looking for someone to reproduce the Scout bull gears. I tried hard to talk them into letting me test one of their prototypes, since I had the Scout bull gear. Don't know if the company still exists or not. My old link to their web site doesn't work. I think I still have a printed picture of the adapter somewhere.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

The bolt adapter isn't what's got me stumped, it's the shaft adapter that I'm scratchin my a$$ over. I thought that someone made an adapter for the PTO of a tractor to from 6 spline to 29 spline, but it's only 21 spline It's even 1 3/8 dia. I can't get lucky any more. hey, I got to witin 8 splines of being right, so in the land of america, I'd call that a good shot, then sit down and sip a frosy adult beverage. It'd be great if someone would repro the scout bull gears. From the looks of everything to me, if you had the right length adapter, you could bolt the jeep 300 to the t-18 using the scout gear, and everything would work.

HEY MC Make us some bull gears!!!

I finally found a guy with one, gonna buy it before he changes his mind.