Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Overdrive transmission choices for AMC 401

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty
    "AMC 360 is the same motor as a dodge 5.9 360"
    "401 that motor is a turd my (mildly built) 350 chevy would run circles around my buddy's 77 gagoneer with a stock 401"
    "Get rid of that AMC Crap it costs too much to build one and convert to a chevy small or big block"
    "the 401 is an aneamic POS dont waste your money"

and then you educate them with taillights and tire smoke when the light turns green.
    Sure,AMC same as the Magnum 5.9. That's why in the 87 Service manual the AMC 360 is referred to as a 6.0 litre to avoid issues.

It should be alot cheaper to buy a chevy 208 that bolts up than to adapt to a jeep 208.
    81 CJ8 on fullwidths with TBI 360 and some other stuff.

Texas A&M Off-Road

Helpfull BT forum member Junior wrench of the Forum
    Automatic Overdrive Transmissions are long standing discussion over at the IFSJA's forum.
    Different folks have approached installing a OD Tranny in a FSJ from several ways.
    The same logic applies to AMC Go-Fast Cars.

1. Use a GM OD tranny, 700R4, 4L60 or 4L80.
    This would require an expensive adapter to go between the engine and transmission.

2. Use a 42RH from behind a 4.0L Jeep.
    This model OD Trannys have the AMC bell-housing bolt pattern the we need to mount to our AMC 360/401 V8.
    The 42RH is basically a Chrysler A500 OD Tranny which is based on the TF904/999.
    These trannys are light to medium duty transmissions and are weak in stock form.
    BUT, these OD transmissions can be built to accept the HP output of a V8 but at a considerable cost.

3. One IFSJA member, Ristow, has taken a A518 OD tranny, a close cousin of the TF727,
    cut the Mopar bellhousing off and is welding a AMC TF727 in its place.
    Check out his posting and his progress:
    My Overdrive Transmission Project

4. There is an on going debate about the idea of taking the rear half of a A518, which is the OD unit of this tranny and mate it to a TF727.
    While is appears that it will bolt up, I do not know if it will work.
    Some say positively not, some say maybe, some say, why not?

Some issues that will need to worked out with type of OD tranny swap in a FSJ would include:
    Rear cross member mounting, stand alone computer for the modern trannys, TV cable or kickdown linkages,
    both the transmission and transfercase shifters and speedometer connections.
    Larger issues would be transfercase options, driveshafts lengths.

Purpose:
    If you performing this swap to save $$$ at the pump, I serious doubt your ever recoup your investment of both time and money in the swap.
    If you are performing this swap as a hobbits adventure, and solving all the technical issues are more important to you
    than the time and money spend, then I say it is a worth while project
    Bryan Smith
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
    - 5.7 HEMI powered
    1982 Jeep J10
    - Progress toward road-worthiness is being made!
    1981 Jeep J20
    - Commercial flat bed - Long term Project: RUST! Long term project (RUST!)