Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
Main cap bolts?
Bulltear Ad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Main cap bolts?

Main cap bolts?

Been looking for new main cap bolts for a 343. What ARP bolts will work? I have heard big block 2 bolt main bolts from Chev are the same, but I have also read that some ford are the same? Can someone clear this up? I don't want to re-use my original main cap bolts and would rather not use main studs for my application. A few Vendors out there have said they have ARP main bolts but when I ask them for a part # I never get a reply. Why is this such a mystery?

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    check out arp's web site and measure the bolts they will definately have a reference for you... I cant remember what pt# they are either
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

ARP Main Bolts

Update: I cros referenced the number that some of the AMC vendors list for the AMC ARP main bolts and discovered that they are the same number as the SMALL JOURNAL small block Cheverolet kit 114-5001

Mystery solved. I also discovered why the vendors don't want to give out the part number-they sell them for almost 3 times the price of summit! =D>

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    the main bolts on a AMC are 1/2 inch .The main bolts on a small block chevy are 7/16 .
    I do use big block chevy studs in all of my engines.

Main Bolts..

Quote Originally Posted by radamx
    the main bolts on a AMC are 1/2 inch .The main bolts on a small block chevy are 7/16 .
    I'll have to check the dimensions of the part # to be absolutely sure, my guess is that these particular chevy bolts are 1/2" upgrades over the stock chevy bolts and happen to be the same as the stock AMC 1/2"??

Bolts

Quote Originally Posted by jeepsr4ever
    check out arp's web site and measure the bolts they will definately have a reference for you... I cant remember what pt# they are either
    just checked out the website at ARP. The downloadable catalog on their site is from 2003?? Couldnt find actual specs for the bolts either.

Quote Originally Posted by radamx

Just checked out the ARP site to try and get some cross referencing nailed down but the catalog on their site is from 2003? and the specifications for the bolts are not listed. It is possible the vendor number I saw was for a big block 2 bolt chevy application as the first 3 sets of numbers for the part number are different but the last 4 are the same for the small journal SB. It makes more sense that the 2 bolt big blocks are the actual ones being sold by the vendors since they are 1/2" as you have noted and the stock AMC bolts are 1/2". My builder DID check a stock big block chevy main bolt on my 343 but he felt that it wouldnt thread down as far as a stock 343 bolt, in essence the big block chevy bolts are a wee bit shorter.

I am sctracthing my head as to why ARP would make AMC head bolts and Rod bolts but not the all important main cap bolts??

I just looked in a 05 catalog and that is not a part # anymore. Give me the dimensions,including the grip length, and I can call them. They find stuff thats not listed for our application all the time.
    "If you're gonna be stupid you gotta be Tough!"-My former boss after literally knocking myself out.

76 Wagoneer-401
    Zusucki Samurai
    63 Nova SS Convertible
    Piles of junk in every zipcode

Thank you from BT Master (OIIIO)
    FYI I used 351 Cleaveland 2 bolt main studs in my 401. they worked perfectly right length etc. might as well upgrade to studs at this point vs bolts
    IF washington wont quit spending money like mad men then i suggest we claim 9 deductions in 2010 and withold or taxes till the final dead line of 4/15/2011.

CJ7 AMC401 http://www.fordification.com/images/forum/bug.gif

"May God have mercy on my enemies, because I WON'T!!" -General George Patton
    Member #377

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty
    FYI I used 351 Cleaveland 2 bolt main studs in my 401. they worked perfectly right length etc. might as well upgrade to studs at this point vs bolts
    I don't think studs are going to make much difference over a an ARP bolt for my application. + studs are a bit more work and often require line boreing to the mains. My 343 does not need line boring now and that is just going to be another expense that might be needed with the installation of studs. It would be nice to have a strong upgrade bolt instead for my application. I guess if I were building a 7000 RPM strip motor that would get torn down after every season the studs would be a good investment wich is why they are so popular, they save wear on the main bolt holes in the block and make R/R much easier. But initially they "could" end up costing more in machine work. My machine shop builder frowns everytime I mention them.