Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
Cummings or DuraMax
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cummings or DuraMax

Cummings or DuraMax

I feel pretty comfortable with a gas engine, AMC's of course, but when it comes to diesels I really don't have much of a clue.

I'm down to 2 trucks:

Dodge Power Wagon with the Cummings and 5 spd Automatic

or

Silverado 2500 HD with the Duramax / Allison 5 spd Auto

I've heard great things about the Cummings,
    and I REALLY love the interrior of the Chevy. But I dont know about the Duramax.

Any suggestions?
    The truck will be a daily driver, towing will be maybe once a month with pulling a GW made rock crawler, and anything else I want to tow.

Humble thanks,
    Mike
    Out to prove that AMC is still one of the best around!

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!! pyagid's Avatar
    I have towed with a duramax, and pulling a YJ on a full trailer you could barely tell it was there. It pulled great, and was very comfortable. I am pretty sure te CHevy is available with teh allison automatic, I am not sure about the dodge tranny

-Paul
    "Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
    - Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.mikeysway.org/ <~~~ Friend of the family. 100% of donations are contributed. All Taxes and fees are paid for by an outside source

The Cummins is a great diesel motor, and they are beasts on the bottom end, the reliability is great. I work parts and hear all sorts of horror stories, this one guyput a chip and some other goodies on his and blew the tank off his intercooler on an 05 Cummins. He did did this running a 1/4 mile.

Ive also heard good things about the duramax, made by Isuzu and very quiet. Not too many complaints on them, except ive had quite a few people need alternators and other charging components. The water pump up until recently was extremely hard to come by. Ive had a couple of those come in bad.

Every truck is gonna have problems, especially if you use it as it was made. Personally, id go Cummins. The aftermarket is very strong for them. Banks and Edge have about the best stuff out for the Cummins.

check out edge's website, they have akiller truck there.
    i gots a jeep.

Power Stroke . Ford should have the Allison by the end of the year.

ive heard nothing but bad bout the new 6.0.........Plus the filters for that beast are really expensive, bout 70 for air and 70 for the fuel.

Maintnence shouldnt hurt. If i was getting a ford it would be a 7.3. The allison will be a nice addition tho.
    i gots a jeep.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS

Re: Cummings or DuraMax

Quote Originally Posted by XtremeOverKill
    Dodge Power Wagon with the Cummings and 5 spd Automatic

or

Silverado 2500 HD with the Duramax / Allison 5 spd Auto
    I should have gotten the diesel, but I went Hemi ... But what I traded off was a Chevy 2500 HD that started to have problems with the front end (4WD) at about 90K miles. So there is more to consider than the motor - but I'd vote Cummins. See if you can talk the dealer into some Cummins beer mugs ... they're etched and say "Hummin Cummins"

Mudrat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    go with the cummins. you can get it worked on anywhere that freightliners,
    peterbuilt, mack,kenworth and internationals are sold. that a large service
    network. cummins warranties the engine not dodge.my uncle bought a
    2004 3500 quad cab 5speed auto with the cummins. loves it.
    83 eagle (r.i.p.)
    85 gl1200 gold wing LTD pilot
    1999 gl1500C valkyrie(plain gold wing)
    1994 jeep grand cherokee limited pilot
    McDonnell Douglas c-17 mechanic
    corrupting people since 1962

Helpfull BT forum member Swabie
    Powerstroke all the way!!!
    I'd wait until the Allison is availiable

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    I have a 2003 Duramax. I LOVE it. Drove it from Denver to Chicago and back over the last week (empty). I averaged 18.4 MPG over the entire trip, running the vast majority of the time over 75 MPH. Pulls my Jeep and trailer up the mountains like it isn't there. I still get 13-14 MPG with the 5600 # trailer.

The first year Duramax had some problems with the head gaskets (steel block, aluminum heads), but I heard that's fixed. The only problem I've heard of with the Allison is of clutch failures on rigs that spend their whole lives pulling at or above the rated max. They install the 2000 series clutches in the 1000 series trans, and I've heard of no repeat failures.

I read last week about a guy with a Duramax, no engine mods, factory turbo, bigger intake, bigger intercooler, bigger exhaust, and an Edge products chip. He pulled 572 HP and 1012 ft/lbs on a dyno, and can still get 18 MPG.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford