Thread: Expected travel?

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS

Expected travel?

OK, I did the spring reverse and SOA thing when I put the Waggy axles under the CJ. I also have a 3" spring lift to boot.

Question is - shocks, or rather the length of them.

What kind of travel should I expect to see from a setup like this so I can get the right length shocks? I haven't found a page that will give min/max lenghts and I'm thinking maybe 12-14" total travel??????

Also with the heavier axles and 35's (maybe 37's?) the extra unspring weight will need some dampening.

Any suggestions and help is appreciated?

Mudrat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    I get 10-12" travel on each corner with 1.5" lift springs, shackle reverse, and SOA. I went to a local 4x4 shop that had a ramp, twisted it to the max, then crawled under with a tape measure and measured lengths at full compression and droop. I ordered shocks with about 2" more travel than I could measure. Haven't had any problem so far. I ended up with Rancho shocks P/N 9112 on all 4 corners.

There are no tables, because it varies so much with shock mount placement, spring rates, and travel limits due to binding.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Quote Originally Posted by tufcj
    I get 10-12" travel on each corner with 1.5" lift springs, shackle reverse, and SOA. I went to a local 4x4 shop that had a ramp, twisted it to the max, then crawled under with a tape measure and measured lengths at full compression and droop. I ordered shocks with about 2" more travel than I could measure. Haven't had any problem so far. I ended up with Rancho shocks P/N 9112 on all 4 corners.

There are no tables, because it varies so much with shock mount placement, spring rates, and travel limits due to binding.

Bob
    tufcj
    Thanks Bob,
    The H-7018's and 7024's I have are about 4" too short at max flex. Didn't want them to be the suspension limiter.

Pat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE