Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Towing 4500lbs w/a CJ8?

Thread: Towing 4500lbs w/a CJ8?

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum

Towing 4500lbs w/a CJ8?

I want to be able to tow 4500lbs to 5000lbs w/the 8, I have built my own rear leaf springs & I am going to add the 5000lb air bags.

On the travel trailer/camper I will have brakes as well as a load leveler system to reduce the force on the rear of the Jeep but it will keep the tounge weight. It will have a sway bar also.

I am going to add rear disc brakes but I want to keep the manual brakes (Do U think so) but I think that's pushing it.

Can U think of anything that would prevent me from doing this?

RollBar

P.S. As for the wheel base length, if my rough measurments are correct the CJ8 is 4" shorter/less that the 1980's Ford Bronco (full size).
    84' CJ8-360-Project M170 Jeep
    86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep
    Project CJ8 to M170 Conversion<----Click

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    Well, towing 4500 lbs with a full size bronc isnt always a hot idea either.. stopping and pulling the load arent really the problem. directional stability at speed is. It is possible to tow that much wieght easily, if you dont get it swinging, I've seen full size dually's and Semi's as well turned over pulling empty trailers. If the rig starts whipping get a equalized hitch or something but correct it , otherwise I dont see why you couldn't do it.
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

Thank you from BT Master (OIIIO)
    length is a factor not just weight
    IF washington wont quit spending money like mad men then i suggest we claim 9 deductions in 2010 and withold or taxes till the final dead line of 4/15/2011.

CJ7 AMC401 http://www.fordification.com/images/forum/bug.gif

"May God have mercy on my enemies, because I WON'T!!" -General George Patton
    Member #377

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty
    length is a factor
    I hate when that happens.

thanks for the input
    86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Quote Originally Posted by rollbar
    length is a factor

thanks for the input
    It's not the length it's how you drive it

And personally I wouldn't. I pulled a stock CJ7 with my (loaded and weighted) Scrambler, before we stretched it, from Norfolk to Tampa - it was a scary white knuckle ride all the way. I won't ever attempt something like that again. It's not alsways the weight but the length of the tow, the road camber, wind and (in my case) NO FREAKING COMON SENSE!!!
    I'm older and wiser now ... (sort of on the older part anyway )

Mudrat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

2" is not 6"

you got my gist though, lol a 16' trailer would probably be the max that i would pull from ball to rear bumper as you are 14' with only an 8' 6" wheel base. i try with trailers to keep the leverage under 2:1 1.5:1 is more sensable without brake controls etc and stiff springs........ not saying i dont get goofy (i know my marbles dont all roll in the same direction) from time to time with 40' worth of a tandemn setup gooseneck&ballhitch behind a 14' wheelbase diesel but at least the gooseneck is only 28' from the rear bumper of the truck
    IF washington wont quit spending money like mad men then i suggest we claim 9 deductions in 2010 and withold or taxes till the final dead line of 4/15/2011.

Member #377

Quote Originally Posted by Mudrat
    Quote Originally Posted by rollbar
    length is a factor

thanks for the input
    It's not the length it's how you drive it

And personally (in my case) NO FREAKING COMON SENSE!!!

I'm older and wiser now ... (sort of on the older part anyway )

Mudrat

I wouldnt go that far your still not hitting on all 6 cylinders and you're two shy of a full deck ...........of 8 anyways

D- =D>

Member #377

I towed my old boat, a little 16ft tri-hull, with my CJ5. It only weight about 2000 pounds and towed fine, right up until my front right brake shoe came apart as I was getting off the freeway . The wheel locked and the trailer tried to pass me. Thank God I had a V8 and a light load. I hit the gas and got everything straight, then used the gears to slow down.

To answer your question, just because you could tow it does not mean you should tow it

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    I say go for it! Drive it like you stole it, and make sure to video tape it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifted79CJ7
    I say go for it! Drive it like you stole it, and make sure to video tape it.

86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep