Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help.I need expert advice

Please help.I need expert advice

Hi I just joined.I just put $50 down on a 1979 amc 360 with 104000 miles on it thats at a salvage yard.I plan on putting this in my 1979 cj7.I have had this jeep for 12 years and the 6 cyl in it runs great but I have always wanted a v-8.I thought i would be better off sticking with all amc.I am now terrified of my decision because I have been reading all this info on the engine oiling problems.I found 1 web page that is talking about putting a mig welder tip in a oil passage plug or something.What is it you guys recomend I do after picking this engine up?I am by no means a engine rebuilder and I dont have the cash to pay for a rebuild.I just wanted to change all the gaskets and clean the oil pan out.Is a amc v-8 not expected to last as long as a chevy 350 v8?Thanks for any info as I know nothing of these motors.

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    at least you know it's a amc motor and not a mopar 360, that's better than the counter guys at most parts stores. do a search here, you'll come up with lots of good info, and correct info on the oiling system.
    parting several FSJ'S

Thanks for the compliment.I have been looking and I dont know which mod I should do.I just want to have a good running engine.I am not going to go off road or race around.I just want to take the top off and hear the v-8 (being proud because its amc) and take my wife and kids to the local park.

if you're not going to run it hard youprobally don't need to do much, just use the right oil, and watch your oil pressure at hot idle.
    parting several FSJ'S

Thanks.This is the best amc- jeep sight i have been on!So i dont have to worry about putting a welding tip in a oil gallery plug?I really appreciate the advice.

I forgot.What oil should I use?From reading some posts it sounds like I should run 15w-30 in it.

i ran 15w40 in my last driver, works ok for summer only.
    parting several FSJ'S

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Welcome aboard!

If you are re-building this motor you should do a couple of mods. If this motor is coming form the boneyard and into your jeep their is a few things you can do.

1. new oil pump kit
    2. new oil iflter adaptor (without filter bypass)
    3. midplate

I would prime the engine if it hasnt been run for a while. Dont run fram filters and read read read up on the issues concerning AMC V8's int he oiling section

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Quote Originally Posted by alex
    I forgot.What oil should I use?From reading some posts it sounds like I should run 15w-30 in it.
    Where are you located at?
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtazwrench
    i ran 15w40 in my last driver, works ok for summer only.
    Summer where mrtaz lives is winter to others It's a pretty universal weight - 10-40 AMC HD Oil (click the link then click on Jen), Penzoil, Castroil, and after break in synthetic like Amzoil, anything but Quaker State!

Use a good filter (not Fram) and you should be golden.

Mudrat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

I live in Michigan