Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Headers or stock manifold? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Headers or stock manifold?

Helpfull BT forum member Junior wrench of the Forum
    Not to be contrary, but my cheapie Hedmans are great..........

That said, it took about 4 hours of grinding on the intake and alot of work with a dial caliper to get it just right. Almost a year and no leaks!!!!!!!

If I had it to do over, I would have gone with a better quality, ceramic set up due to the fact that the "shipping paint" on the headmans burned off within about 2 hours.

Dave

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Quote Originally Posted by GADJIT98
    That said, it took about 4 hours of grinding on the intake and alot of work with a dial caliper to get it just right. Almost a year and no leaks!!!!!!!

Dave
    Ummm ...Gadjit????? Why would you grind the intake to fit an exhaust on a V8?
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Helpfull BT forum member Junior wrench of the Forum
    LOL, guess that wouldnt make much sense now would it

I should have read the previous message & sig a little closer. I was referring to the 258 intake & headers being a few .000's different in thickness.

The HEDMAN solution was a series of tubes with keyways welded on......

My solution was the whole measure & grind method. It works great, but its a lot of work. One thing I am keenly aware of is the fact that grinding on a V8 intake will do absolutely nothing for header fitment

Dave

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Quote Originally Posted by GADJIT98
    LOL, guess that wouldnt make much sense now would it

I should have read the previous message & sig a little closer. I was referring to the 258 intake & headers being a few .000's different in thickness.

The HEDMAN solution was a series of tubes with keyways welded on......

My solution was the whole measure & grind method. It works great, but its a lot of work. One thing I am keenly aware of is the fact that grinding on a V8 intake will do absolutely nothing for header fitment

Dave
    Hehehehehe glad you woke up and smelled the fuel line The problem I have moving my Clifford stuff from the CJ to the YJ (both built 258's) is the headers and the kick-down for the daughter-child's auto-kick-down
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Without exception, I have had to take every set of headers I have ever bought and weld around the flange, and then gasket match them with a die grinder. I just assume buy cheap if I am going to have to spend a few hours making them fit anyhow.
    1969 Rebel 401 TH400
    1978 J10 401, QT
    1978 Wag 401 QT
    1973 Javelin AMX in pieces.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    I have had very good luck with hedmans but I must point out that they are almost completely made for stock unported heads. They dont have much meat to be grinding away but you can always add metal.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689