Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
Headers or stock manifold?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Headers or stock manifold?

Headers or stock manifold?

If I put headers on my amc 360,will this affect the way it will run?I am going to remove the air pump,cruise control,and the ac compressor.I am going to keep the stock carb .I currently have the engine on an engine stand and I was going to remove the stock exhaust manifolds because it looks like the prices on a cj v8 single exhaust from the manifolds back is not much cheaper than ordering headers and mufflers.I always wanted headers and duals on my cj but i dont want to damage the engine either.If i get the headers do you guys recomend inside frame or outside frame style for my 79 cj.I have'nt even tested this motor yet this is my junkyard special so far the plugs are all equally just carboned up.No heavy oil leakage on the engine.It had oil in it.I am going to remove the oil pan have it sanblasted then paint it.I just figure I better have an exhaust when I try starting it and while its running so my neighbors dont get po'd. thanks in advance for any info.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Definitely inside frame headers - I ahd outside frame and bashed the crap out of them on the rocks everytime I went out. Be careful if you go something like headman - the don't work with automatics on the passenger side. Edelbrocks should work, though. I say go for it!

sounds like a good idea,however i talked to a engineer at work and he told me I cant put headers on with a stock carb because I will burn my valves up or burn a hole in the piston.Now i dont what I should do.Does anyone run a stock 2 barrel carb with headers and have problems?

Quote Originally Posted by alex
    i talked to a engineer at work and he told me.....
    And you fell for it and believed him?

Those that can, do.
    Those who can't become engineers.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Those that can, do.
    Those who can't become engineers

Yes you can run headers with a carb

Then the search is on!!I will be removing my stock exhaust manifolds while the engine is on the stand.This might sound stupid but I'll ask anyway.Should i put the engine in with the headers installed?I will have the front clip off the jeep when I put the engine in?

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Quote Originally Posted by alex
    Should i put the engine in with the headers installed?I will have the front clip off the jeep when I put the engine in?
    It'll be easier to mount them afterwards I think. With the motor swinging and having to CAREFULLY slide the entire assy into the fram might be a bit painful. You might remove the framehorns (motor mounts) and give it a try - but I always pull the fenders and grill and just lay the hood on the windshield - makes it MUCH easier.

Mudrat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Ok.Thats what I figured also,but I was'nt 100 percent sure.Thanks for the advice

Thank you from BT Master (OIIIO)
    the doug thorley headers are hard to beat. tough, thicker flanges, inframe long tube headers..... they are small tubes though and they are a tri Y design so more or a torque tube thanothers ont eh market.
    IF washington wont quit spending money like mad men then i suggest we claim 9 deductions in 2010 and withold or taxes till the final dead line of 4/15/2011.

CJ7 AMC401 http://www.fordification.com/images/forum/bug.gif

"May God have mercy on my enemies, because I WON'T!!" -General George Patton
    Member #377

Everything I would say has been said.

But for the love of Jeep, pay the extra money for the thicker flange header.

I didn't, and I change header gaskets almost as much as I change motor oil.

Cheaper is just that.......cheap.

PS anyone want a set of ceramic coated in frame headers.
    AHHHH Crap, what did I break this time?

Mudslingerz.com