Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
Headers or stock manifold? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Headers or stock manifold?

ok.I got it dont go cheap and buy thick flanged headers.

whay site do i find out about those doug thorley ....

hey i have been looking around tryin to find some hald decent headers for a 360 in a FSJ, would you know the site address for those doug thorley headers?

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!! pyagid's Avatar
    "Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
    - Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.mikeysway.org/ <~~~ Friend of the family. 100% of donations are contributed. All Taxes and fees are paid for by an outside source

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    Just a hint for those of us who got suckered and bought the thin flanged cheapies..next time you have to change the blown gaskets.. pull the headers off.. cut between each tube (seperate them) at the top get out you r grinder and clean up the ugly weld beads on the sealing surface. then buy a set of those locking header bolts and mr gaskets 5950 ultraseal gaskets.. and put it back together.. I was burning gaskets about every two weeks before.. now so far I am 6 months and no problems..

(oh and just a tip from your Uncle dumba$$ dont try to put the locking clips on the header bolts while its hot..)
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Quote Originally Posted by Goose
    (oh and just a tip from your Uncle dumba$$ dont try to put the locking clips on the header bolts while its hot..)
    Sounds almost as good a a smashed thumb thread Gotta be a story there somewhere
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Quote Originally Posted by Mudrat
    Quote Originally Posted by Goose
    Sounds almost as good a a smashed thumb thread Gotta be a story there somewhere
    sonds more like he had to use a spatula to remove his hands.

Thank you from BT Master (OIIIO)
    IF washington wont quit spending money like mad men then i suggest we claim 9 deductions in 2010 and withold or taxes till the final dead line of 4/15/2011.

CJ7 AMC401 http://www.fordification.com/images/forum/bug.gif

"May God have mercy on my enemies, because I WON'T!!" -General George Patton
    Member #377

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    Well the story goes like this, After fighting these headers I began to think crazy thoughts.. you know the "why does this only happen to me" kind of thoughts where you think maybe I have been bad and am being punished .. Well after the mod mentioned above and running the enigine then retightning the bolts my poor frazzled brains sez..(and I quote here)" hey maybe if you put the locking clips on when it's still hot they will stay tighter and not back out whne it's cooling down.." ok like I said my brain was in bonehead zone.. and it sounded reasonable..at the time.. for a few minutes anyway.. GAAAADanga those little clippy things get hot fast!
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

Are the Tri-Ys really worth the 500 bucks? I'm just wondering if switching from stock is worth the expense. My only other consideration is the Edelbrock shortys. Any comments, suggestions, rantings?

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    It really depends on what you're doing with it.

For the rock crawling I do, I run stock manifolds now after running headers for several years. At the low RPMs I 'wheel at, there's no noticable difference in power. The stock manifolds gave me more room for a custom exhaust that is tucked up very close to the engine and frame. Plus, I have to deal with local smog rules. I may go to the Edelbrock shorties some day (weren't available when I did my exhaust).

If you're revving it up, like mud bogs or maybe even towing, invest in the good headers. That's where they'll make a difference.

Just my $.02.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford