Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
Headers or stock manifold? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Headers or stock manifold?

Thanks for the advice. Mine is a daily driver Wagoneer, some towing (19' power boat), some sand (Hatteras). I need a new Y-pipe, so I'm trying to figure out what I should plan on replacing while I'm at it. Exhaust is about 4 yrs old (Middas/stock). I'm going to be flowing more air into the engine....time to get it out.

I have had to take every set of headers that I have ever gotten and weld around flange to tube joint and then gasket match them with a die grinder, I sure hope for the $ that the Edelbrock or Thorley headers fit without this.
    1969 Rebel 401 TH400
    1978 J10 401, QT
    1978 Wag 401 QT
    1973 Javelin AMX in pieces.

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    As for the Headman headers they do hit the pan w/a auto on the passenger side (Tf-999 that is).

Statement/Question:
    I have a set of stock exhaust manifolds off of a 78' J-10 I was told that they will not work on a CJ since they do not bend down quick enough & that thet will hit the fire wall, is there any truth to this. I haven't installed the tub yet so I don't know if they will hit.

Thanks,
    RollBar
    84' CJ8-360-Project M170 Jeep
    86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep
    Project CJ8 to M170 Conversion<----Click

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    I have heard the same thing before, but I have no first hand experience. I think one of them fits and the other doesn't. I think it was the passenger side manifold that doesn't fit?

Hummmm, thanks.

Can anyone confirm this?

Can/if it is the passenger side can a 90* bend be added just after the manifold to make it work OR will it just not work?

Thanks,
    RollBar
    86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    Well I took the passenger side Stock manifold off of my J-10 (1984)Left over after header install and replaced a cracked stocker on a 1977 CJ-5. As near as I could tell they were identical in all respects, everything bolted right back up..

So my guess is if they work on a 5 they will also work on a 7..
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Quote Originally Posted by Goose
    So my guess is if they work on a 5 they will also work on a 7..
    I would give a definate maybe All things considered, the changes between a 5 and 7 were under the seats and location of the skid, so what's forward of that is interchangeable fenders, rad, round lights So as ling as you haven't changed anything with the engine mount locations should be good-to-go

Mud
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

thanks
    86' CJ7-258-Mommas Jeep

I used hedman in frame with my T-400 auto in my 83 CJ-7. they clear everything. Not even close to having contact with anything the entire length of the tube. But the flanges have to be the worst fitting pieces of junk I have ever seen. I installed Race-pro copper gaskets tourqed everything down, fired the ole' girl up and it sounded like 22rimfire bullets going off under the hood. Removed the hedders and found that the crush zones on the copper gaskets were in a lot of cases overlapping the exhaust port. No way to seal if there is nothing available to crush a gasket between. Did the whole cut the tie bar, grind, hammer, grind, hammer. but if the flange mounting holes don't allow the ports to line up there is only so much you can do. I run Hooker now and am O.K. with them. Seems to be a twin to the Hedman but the flanges line up much better.
    BLUEJEEP 1983 CJ7
    AMC 360/T400/D300
    Solid Axle model 20 R/ D44 F
    7"lift 34" Truxxus MT's
    Bunch of other crap on it also

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    Ohh I agree.. I would never buy the cheapies again.. This is definately one area where a few extra bucks prevents years aof aggravation...
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.