Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
AMC 360 Problem Tick Tick Tick - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AMC 360 Problem Tick Tick Tick

I was just out playing with it for the last hour and it seems that the noise is definitley coming from the front..

But it's not a tick... it's like a grinding sort of ticking and it seems to come and go... Not very steady.

I don't know what to do...

Carl Sorensen

Have you tried it without the belts?

Ol School,

DOH... Yeah I did try it without the belts... And it still sounded like it was there just way quieter...

But I am the kind of person who gets paranoid and hears all kinds of things when something is bugging me

I have had this Jeep for nearly 9 years... In it's time I have heard and diagnosed a lot of noises...

But this one just stumps me... I am scared the bearings are toast or something and I don't want to drive it. It's a 40 minute drive just to get it to the machine shop. Or about $150 tow bill! I would prefer neither.

Carl Sorensen

I was just thinking of the water pump impeller scraping into the back of the timing cover. I've seen a few go that way.
    If you're running a roller timing chain, sometimes you can hear them through the cover ( if the engine's quiet enough).
    Certainly nothing that I drive.

Thank you for all the help thus far everyone.

Good suggestion on the Water Pump Ol' School I checked that but to no avail... it still continues...

HOWEVER...

Today I grabbed a cardboard tube from some wrapping paper and started listening around the engine to figure out "Where" this is coming from and my conclusion is the Fuel Pump.

It's a "Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap" And is really strong when I put the tube to my ear and touch it to the pump.

On the timing cover casing and waterpump I can still hear the "Tap, Tap, Tap" but it's definitly not as strong as when I place the tube and listen to the Fuel Pump.

So do you think that could actually be the problem?

Carl Sorensen

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    I had a fuel pump do that to me twice!!
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

So it's the Fuel Pump?

I ordered a new one anyways...

Could this be the result of an underlying problem? The fuel pump was a used unit.

I shall see what happens. Thank you everyone. This is the best AMC/Jeep forum I have found.

Carl Sorensen

Thank you from BT Gear Head
    Might be a worn fuel pump accentric. The one on my 401 had a 1/4in deep groove worn in it.
    In America, there is no natural, moral, or legal right, to obligate another person or persons, to your dept or desires.

Alright... Shes Running!

Got the new fuel pump and put it in and voila... that nasty tick was gone...

Now onto the lifters and exhaust leak... I love AMC don't get me wrong... and am glad I have that 360 in the Jeep because it's fun as hell...

It's the "behind the scenes" stuff that is annoying.

Thanks for your help

Carl Sorensen