Thread: SRS

SRS

Looking for real info:
    '86 cj7 4.2 Dana 30,300,44 999auto Daily Driver
    Sadly its on the street more than its on the trail.
    I have been looking at Shackle Reversal Systems (MORE).
    Are they worth it?
    Is it better to Bolt on or Weld on?
    I read that the front driveshaft slip-yoke has to be extended? true or false
    I also read that it moves the front wheels, if so how much and what does it affect?
    How much hidden cost are there?

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    I have a MORE SRS on my CJ. It moves the axle forward about 1.25". The move is necessary, because after the SRS, the axle moves back as it flexes, and the tires will eat the fender if it the axle isn't moved forward. A longer slip driveshaft is recommended, but it will depend on how flexy your suspension is. The problem I had was with the factory 3-4" slip, it would bottom the shaft on suspension compression (hard bottom could break the t-case), and over-extend on droop (kept pulling the grease seal out). My Jeep has 10-12" of travel at each corner. I had to go with a long slip driveshaft, about $300. You'll only know after the kit is in and you flex it.

I like the weld on kit. I had a bolt on from Warrior 1st. It didn't move the axle forward, so I had terrible rub at the back of the front fenders. The shackles were also completely below the frame, and became TERRIBLE rock catchers on the trail.

The MORE kit is great. The little welding it takes to get the shackle tube thru the frame is worth it. I don't know about the additional buggy spring kit, I don't know anybody running it, but again, it puts the entire shackle below the frame.

The only hidden cost may be a front driveshaft. If your slip and yokes are good, a re-tube could be less than $100, if the slip will be long enough.

I have to add that the ride is a little smoother and the steering is tighter, which makes the street manners a little better. All around, worth the money and work.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

How is the nose dive? I hear that Jeeps with the SRS have more nose dive under brakeing, because now the spring will want to compress when you hit the brakes. How bad is it?
    79 Cherokee, 401, T-18/D-20 hydroboost, otherwise stock.
    Soon to come: Caddy 500,NV4500, NP205, high pinion D-60 front, D-70 rear, SOA, 5.13 gears and 35X12.50's on re centered H1 beadlock wheels

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!! pyagid's Avatar
    Had the MORE SRS system on a YJ the only time we had a problem with nose dive is if we had to slam on the brakes hard. Otherwise it was not a problem, and never lost control due to it

-Paul
    "Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
    - Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.mikeysway.org/ <~~~ Friend of the family. 100% of donations are contributed. All Taxes and fees are paid for by an outside source

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    I've never even noticed any dive. Mine is SOA on nearly flat YJ springs, it may be more noticable with a taller arch spring. Still not a problem in normal driving. Just remember it's a SUV, NOT a sports car.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thanks for the reply!
    I'm putting it on the list of things to do, right after a suspension lift, lockers and re-gearing. Unless my ship comes in!
    Best
    Lee