Bulltear Ad

Thread: AMC 360, Keep engine or swap?

AMC 360, Keep engine or swap?

I have recently purchased a 1972 cj5 in non running condition.
    It has an amc 360 motor in it, and pulling the plug from the oil pan resulted in a mixture of coolant and oil draining out.
    I was told there were a number of things that could cause this: cracked head, cracked block, head gasket leak.
    I went ahead and pulled the heads off to replace the gasket and sent them off to get a valve job done.
    Turns out a bunch of the valves and seats need to be replaced, resulting in pretty big $$$$. $485 to be exact.
    I guess at this point I am hunting for the best plan of action.
    I am nut sure of the condition of the bottom end of the motor after setting for a couple of years without oil in it and hate to invest in fixing just the top end and then finding out that the bottom needs to be rebuilt also.
    Anybody have advice?

I would pull the motor and take it apart to find out its condition. You have the heads off now, not to hard to get the rest out. Then you can get the lower part fixed if it needs it. I would stay with the 360 unless you don't like having lots of power. A 360 in a 72 would be a wicked combination.
    It's not that I am afraid to die....
    It's just that I don't want to be there when it happens -Anon
    Pics of Jeeps

Thanks,
    I actually already have the motor pulled.
    But I haven't taken the oil pan or timing cover, or flywheel off yet.
    I'm not really sure what to look for.
    I am also not sure of what it would cost to rebuild.
    I could buy a rebuilt one from orielly auto for $1600

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!! pyagid's Avatar
    My dad just got a rebuilt 304 Shortblock For $450 plus shipping. He had the heads redone locallly prior for $300. Roadmaster Engine Company

-Paul
    "Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
    - Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.mikeysway.org/ <~~~ Friend of the family. 100% of donations are contributed. All Taxes and fees are paid for by an outside source

Great, I will look into the roadmaster place.
    Do they rebuild the engine that you have or do they rebuild one and then you ship them back your core?

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!! pyagid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by !)ave
    Great, I will look into the roadmaster place.
    Do they rebuild the engine that you have or do they rebuild one and then you ship them back your core?
    They send you a rebuilt, have it drop shipped to your house, then have another company pick up the core.

They also said the will build the motor anyway you like, I believe a long block comes with a pretty descent warranty as well

-Paul
    "Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
    - Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.mikeysway.org/ <~~~ Friend of the family. 100% of donations are contributed. All Taxes and fees are paid for by an outside source